Drive Clinch Division Title with Win over Fort Wayne
Fort Wayne - The Grand Rapids Drive (28-22) closed out their regular season on a high note by beating their division rival the Fort Wayne Mad Ants (23-27) on Saturday night on the road by a 121-118 final score. The Drive clinched the franchise's first Central Division with tonight's win.
Like most games for the Drive lately, they were led by the two-way player duo of Kalin Lucas and Isaiah Whitehead. Whitehead scored 31 points, his second-highest total of the season, grabbing six rebounds and going 13-of-27 from the field. Lucas saw his five-game streak of at least 30 points end, but still scored 22 points going a perfect 12-of-12 from the line to break his own team season record for free throws made in a game. Adam Woodbury added 14 points and 11 rebounds for Grand Rapids and Michael Bethea Jr. gave a boost off the bench by scoring 17 points.
Alize Johnson poured in a game-high 34 points with 11 rebounds for the Mad Ants and Rob Gray was excellent off the bench, going 10-of-15 from the floor for 22 points, seven rebounds and six assists. Stephan Hicks and Edmond Sumner both played well with Hicks going for 15 points and nine rebounds and Sumner for 13 points and a game-high 10 assists.
It was an incredibly high-flying first half, as both teams had a quarter in the first half where they scored at least 40 points. Grand Rapids led 78-70 at the halfway point, their second-highest total in a half this season. But both defenses stepped up in the fourth, with only 35 combined points coming in the final 12 minutes. Gray scored 10 of the 18 Fort Wayne fourth quarter points, but the comeback fell short.
The Drive made just five three-pointers on the entire night (with three of them coming from Bethea), but made up for it by drawing a stellar 38 free throw attempts and missing just four of them.
The Mad Ants' season has concluded, and the Drive will await their first playoff matchup.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 23, 2019
- Windy City Concludes Regular Season with Third Straight Loss, Fall 120-109 to Canton - Windy City Bulls
- Best in the West: Vipers Lock in First Round Bye with Win over Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Best in the West: Vipers Lock in First Round Bye with Win over Skyforce - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Blue Coats Pinch Red Claws in Final Game of Season - Delaware Blue Coats
- Swarm Dispatch Legends in Sold out Season Finale - Greensboro Swarm
- Running of the Bulls - Charge Cap off Campaign with Win - Canton Charge
- Long Island Defeats Wisconsin in Regular Season Finale - Long Island Nets
- BayHawks End Season with Win - Erie BayHawks
- Drive Hold off Mad Ants in Regular Season Finale - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Knicks Edged by One in Regular Season Finale - Westchester Knicks
- Drive Clinch Division Title with Win over Fort Wayne - Grand Rapids Drive
- Magic Take Down 905 in Regular Season Finale - Lakeland Magic
- Suns Waive Jawun Evans - Northern Arizona Suns
- Golden State Warriors Recall Guard Jacob Evans III - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Kings Assign Cody Demps to Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Anthony Brown Suffers Season-Ending Injury - Lakeland Magic
- Knicks Close out Regular Season at Erie - Westchester Knicks
- Santa Cruz Warriors Take Down Agua Caliente Clippers, 113-109 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Stars End Regular Season with Home Win over Iowa - Salt Lake City Stars
- Iowa Unable to Complete Comeback in Season Finale - Iowa Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.