Stars Earn Win at Kings
STOCKTON, Calif. - The Salt Lake City Stars, the official NBA G League affiliate of the Utah Jazz, defeated the Stockton Kings 126-118 in a matinee contest today. The Stars enter the break with a three-game winning streak.
Salt Lake City was led by Utah Jazz two-way player Tyler Cavanaugh, who tallied his second 30/10 game of the season (fifth double-double) with game-highs of 31 points and 11 rebounds. Jairus Lyles led all reserves with 27 points, including 16 in the fourth quarter on a perfect 7-of-7 from the field. Utah Jazz two-way player Naz Mitrou-Long scored 19 points, handed out six assists and collected five rebounds, and Deonte Burton tallied 11 points, a team-high seven assists and a game-high three steals.
All five Kings starters scored in double figures, led by Cody Demps, who tallied a point/assist double-double with 24 points and a game-high 10 helpers. Sacramento Kings two-way player Wenyen Gabriel logged a double-double with 19 points and a game-high 12 boards, and Sacramento Kings two-way player Troy Williams recorded 23 points and eight rebounds.
The two teams exchanged the lead 13 times in the first half, with the Stars taking a 10-point advantage (32-22) late in the first frame following a 13-2 run. The Kings responded with a 7-0 spurt to end the first period and trail by three (32-29). Stockton led by five points (50-45) with 4:35 remaining in the first half, but the Stars pulled ahead with a 15-5 run to enter intermission leading by five (60-55). The Kings pulled within two points to end the third quarter (84-82) and tied the game at 84-apiece with 11:25 left in the final frame, but the Stars went on a 10-0 run and never relinquished the lead.
Following the break, the Stars will hit the road to face the Memphis Hustle (Memphis Grizzlies affiliate) on Wednesday, Feb. 20, at 6 p.m. (MT). The game, which is the third of four consecutive road games for the Stars, will be broadcast live on ESPN+.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 13, 2019
- Wolves Offense in Top Form in Defeat of Hustle - Iowa Wolves
- Magic Fall to Mad Ants in Close Contest - Lakeland Magic
- Second Half Woes Snap Hustle Winning Streak - Memphis Hustle
- South Bay Drops Road Game in Texas - South Bay Lakers
- Blue Coats' Streak Snapped As Go-Go Escape With Win - Delaware Blue Coats
- BayHawks Fall to Red Claws in Overtime - Erie BayHawks
- Gray's 46 Points Lead Fort Wayne Past Magic in Lakeland - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Santa Cruz Warriors Thwart Raptors 905 Comeback Attempt, Win 114-111 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Red Claws Top BayHawks in OT Thriller - Maine Red Claws
- Stars Earn Win at Kings - Salt Lake City Stars
- Stockton Kings Fall Short to Salt Lake City Stars, 126-118 - Stockton Kings
- Memphis Hustle Acquire Laquinton Ross - Memphis Hustle
- NBA G League Announces Makeup Date for January 24 Game - Maine Red Claws
- Epps in Beast Mode, Suns Forward Grabs Team-Record 18 Rebounds in Comeback Win - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.