Second Half Woes Snap Hustle Winning Streak
Southaven, Miss. - The Memphis Hustle (20-17) had its three-game winning streak snapped by the Iowa Wolves (15-24) with a 136-116 loss at Landers Center Wednesday night. The Wolves outscored Memphis 73-54 in the second half and their 136 points mark a season-high for any Hustle opponent. Iowa won the regular season series 3-1.
Both teams struggled out of the gate, with neither club shooting above 40 percent in the opening frame and combining for 12 turnovers in the game's first nine minutes. However, things picked up in the next frame, with both teams shooting above 60 percent from the field (Memphis, 61.9 percent; Iowa, 62.5 percent) and playing through six ties and six lead changes to a 63-62 advantage for Iowa at the break.
Iowa mainly pulled away in the third quarter, scoring 43 points and shooting 16-of-22 (.727) from the field while Memphis shot just 37.0 percent (10-27 FG) and trailed by 15 (106-91) heading into the final frame. The Wolves' lead peaked at 25.
Tyler Harvey led the Hustle in scoring for the for the 11th time this season with 21 points to go with six assists and four rebounds. Tarik Phillip (15 points, 10 rebounds) had his third double-double of the season to go with five assists and three steals. Dusty Hannahs and Markel Crawford contributed 13 points each off the bench.
Former Hustle guard and current Nuggets two-way player Brandon Goodwin approached triple-double territory with 25 points, 14 rebounds and eight assists. Darius Johnson-Odom led all scorers with 38 points, a season-high for any Hustle opponent, on 13-of-18 shooting (4-8 3P). Jonathan Stark added 22 points off the bench to go with six assists and five rebounds.
The Hustle return to Landers Center on Wednesday, February 20 at 7 p.m. to take on the Salt Lake City Stars. Tickets are still available starting at $10 each and fans wishing to attend can purchase tickets at ticketmaster.com, the Landers Center Box Office, online at MemphisHustle.com or by calling (901) 888-HOOP.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 13, 2019
- Wolves Offense in Top Form in Defeat of Hustle - Iowa Wolves
- Magic Fall to Mad Ants in Close Contest - Lakeland Magic
- Second Half Woes Snap Hustle Winning Streak - Memphis Hustle
- South Bay Drops Road Game in Texas - South Bay Lakers
- Blue Coats' Streak Snapped As Go-Go Escape With Win - Delaware Blue Coats
- BayHawks Fall to Red Claws in Overtime - Erie BayHawks
- Gray's 46 Points Lead Fort Wayne Past Magic in Lakeland - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Santa Cruz Warriors Thwart Raptors 905 Comeback Attempt, Win 114-111 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Red Claws Top BayHawks in OT Thriller - Maine Red Claws
- Stars Earn Win at Kings - Salt Lake City Stars
- Stockton Kings Fall Short to Salt Lake City Stars, 126-118 - Stockton Kings
- Memphis Hustle Acquire Laquinton Ross - Memphis Hustle
- NBA G League Announces Makeup Date for January 24 Game - Maine Red Claws
- Epps in Beast Mode, Suns Forward Grabs Team-Record 18 Rebounds in Comeback Win - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Hustle Stories
- USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team February Team Announced
- Marcus Keene to Leave Memphis Hustle
- Second Half Woes Snap Hustle Winning Streak
- Memphis Hustle Acquire Laquinton Ross
- Hustle Forward Kyle Casey Invited to USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team February Training Camp