Magic Fall to Mad Ants in Close Contest
The Lakeland Magic, NBA G League affiliate of the Orlando Magic, fell to the Fort Wayne Mad Ants 127-123 on Wednesday night at the RP Funding Center.
It was a scoring battle in the first quarter with the Magic leading the Mad Ants 31-29 going into the second. Fort Wayne was off to a hot start in the second to take an eight point (42-34) lead with 9:17 remaining. The Magic would retake the lead on a three-pointer by Gabe York with 5:22 left in the quarter. The Magic increased the lead to seven points but the Mad Ants fought back to tie the game at 84-84 on a three point shot by Demetrius Denzel-Dyson. The Magic would take a three point lead (93-90) into the final quarter of play. Both teams battled back and forth with the game all tied at 111-111 with 3:49 left on the clock. The contest remained close right up until the end but the Mad Ants were able to pull away with the 127-123 victory over the Magic.
Amile Jefferson led the way for the Magic, just shy of the double-double, with 25 points and 9 rebounds. Troy Caupain also flirted with a double-double posting 22 points, 9 rebounds and 6 assists. Gabe York scored 20 points. BJ Johnson had 14 points on the night. Assignment Player, Melvin Frazier Jr. had 10 points and 4 rebounds.
For the Mad Ants, Rob Gray had an explosive night with 46 points on 12-of-24 shooting. Alize Johnson had a double-double with 23 points and 18 rebounds. Ike Nwamu had 18 points in tonight's matchup. Stephan Hicks had 16 points on the night.
The Lakeland Magic head into the All-Star break in sole possession of first place in the Eastern Conference. The Magic will have a week off before returning to action on Wednesday, February 20 against the Capital City Go-Go. Tip-off at the RP Funding Center is set for 7:00pm.
Lakeland Magic single game tickets and group tickets are available now. For ticket information, visit lakelandmagic.com or call 863.825.3258.
Amile Jefferson 25 points, 9 rebounds
Troy Caupain 22 points, 9 rebounds
Gabe York 20 points
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 13, 2019
- Wolves Offense in Top Form in Defeat of Hustle - Iowa Wolves
- Magic Fall to Mad Ants in Close Contest - Lakeland Magic
- Second Half Woes Snap Hustle Winning Streak - Memphis Hustle
- South Bay Drops Road Game in Texas - South Bay Lakers
- Blue Coats' Streak Snapped As Go-Go Escape With Win - Delaware Blue Coats
- BayHawks Fall to Red Claws in Overtime - Erie BayHawks
- Gray's 46 Points Lead Fort Wayne Past Magic in Lakeland - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Santa Cruz Warriors Thwart Raptors 905 Comeback Attempt, Win 114-111 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Red Claws Top BayHawks in OT Thriller - Maine Red Claws
- Stars Earn Win at Kings - Salt Lake City Stars
- Stockton Kings Fall Short to Salt Lake City Stars, 126-118 - Stockton Kings
- Memphis Hustle Acquire Laquinton Ross - Memphis Hustle
- NBA G League Announces Makeup Date for January 24 Game - Maine Red Claws
- Epps in Beast Mode, Suns Forward Grabs Team-Record 18 Rebounds in Comeback Win - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakeland Magic Stories
- Lakeland Magic Forward Amile Jefferson Named to All-NBA G League Third Team
- Lakeland Secures Appearance in Eastern Conference Finals
- Lakeland's Gabe York Receives 2018-19 NBA G League Jason Collier Sportsmanship Award
- Lakeland Secures Round One Bye and Home Game in NBA G League Playoffs
- Magic Take Down 905 in Regular Season Finale