Santa Cruz Warriors Thwart Raptors 905 Comeback Attempt, Win 114-111
SANTA CRUZ, CA - The Santa Cruz Warriors (27-10) held on to defeat the Raptors 905 (22-15) tonight in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, 112-109. The Sea Dubs enter the All-Star break with the NBA's best record for the first time in franchise history (.729 winning percentage).
Six Sea Dubs scored in double figures tonight, including guard Kendrick Nunn with 25 points tonight on 11-of-16 from the field (61.1 percent shooting). Warriors guard Michael Gbinije logged 16 points, his best scoring performance since November 18 against Northern Arizona (22 points). Antonius Cleveland, who returned to the lineup after missing the last three games, filled the stat sheet with 13 points, eight rebounds, five assists and five steals.
Raptors 905 wing Malcolm Miller scored 24 points, including 15 in the first half, to go along with nine rebounds in 39 minutes tonight. Guard Josh Adams contributed 23 points, six rebounds and ten assists, but also committed six turnovers. Forward Derek Cooke, Jr. secured 13 points and 17 rebounds for a double-double.
Thanks to eight first quarter points by two-way forward Marcus Derrickson, Santa Cruz held the lead for most of the period until Malcolm Miller drilled a three-pointer with five seconds remaining to tie the game 26-26. In the second, Nunn poured in six more points to give him 12 in the half, including a thundering transition dunk, to give the Warriors a narrow 57-56 lead going into the locker room.
The Warriors went on a 10-2 run to break away from the 905 in the third quarter and take a 93-84 lead. The 905 then went on an 8-0 run with 3 minutes remaining to bring the score to within one with seconds remaining, but a Darius Morris driving layup extended the Sea Dubs lead to three with 8.6 seconds remaining. A last second miss by Adams secured the Warriors win.
Santa Cruz will return from the 2019 All-Star Break with a visit to Stockton, CA to face the Kings on Wednesday, February 20 (7:00 p.m. tip-off). The Warriors will then return to the Bay Area on Sunday, February 24 to host the Oklahoma City Blue (25-12) at Oracle Arena (tip-off 5:00 p.m. PST, NBC Sports Bay Area). The first 10,000 fans in attendance that afternoon will receive a limited-edition Klay Thompson Santa Cruz Edition Bobblehead. For tickets to the team's game at Oracle Arena, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 13, 2019
- Wolves Offense in Top Form in Defeat of Hustle - Iowa Wolves
- Magic Fall to Mad Ants in Close Contest - Lakeland Magic
- Second Half Woes Snap Hustle Winning Streak - Memphis Hustle
- South Bay Drops Road Game in Texas - South Bay Lakers
- Blue Coats' Streak Snapped As Go-Go Escape With Win - Delaware Blue Coats
- BayHawks Fall to Red Claws in Overtime - Erie BayHawks
- Gray's 46 Points Lead Fort Wayne Past Magic in Lakeland - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Santa Cruz Warriors Thwart Raptors 905 Comeback Attempt, Win 114-111 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Red Claws Top BayHawks in OT Thriller - Maine Red Claws
- Stars Earn Win at Kings - Salt Lake City Stars
- Stockton Kings Fall Short to Salt Lake City Stars, 126-118 - Stockton Kings
- Memphis Hustle Acquire Laquinton Ross - Memphis Hustle
- NBA G League Announces Makeup Date for January 24 Game - Maine Red Claws
- Epps in Beast Mode, Suns Forward Grabs Team-Record 18 Rebounds in Comeback Win - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Golden State Warriors Recall Guard Jacob Evans III from Santa Cruz
- Santa Cruz Warriors Conclude 2018-19 Season with Defeat to Rio Grande Valley Vipers, 144-125
- Santa Cruz Warriors Advance to Western Conference Finals, Beat the Blue 117-102
- Golden State Warriors Assign Guard Jacob Evans III to Santa Cruz
- Warriors Beat Agua Caliente Clippers 113-109, Match Best Record in NBA G League