Starling, Chasers Complete Sweep of Isotopes with 4-1 Win
Omaha right fielder Bubba Starling homered, drove in three runs, stole third base, threw out a baserunner at home plate and made a game-ending diving catch, while four Storm Chasers pitchers combined to yield a lone unearned run in a 4-1 victory to finish a series sweep of the Albuquerque Isotopes on Thursday night at Werner Park.
CF Erick Mejia put Omaha ahead 1-0 with an RBI double in the bottom of the first. After Albuquerque evened the contest at one in the top of the third, Starling smashed a two-run shot in the last of the frame, his fourth homer of the year, to push the Storm Chasers ahead 3-1. Starling would later drive in his third run of the tilt by slapping a run-scoring single to right.
Starling (2-4, R, HR, 3 RBI, SB) was one of three Storm Chasers players to record a multi-hit effort, along with Mejia (2-3, R, 2B, RBI, BB) and 1B Lucas Duda (2-4, R) as part of his Major League Rehab Assignment. In addition to his strong game at the plate, Starling also excelled on defense, recording his fifth outfield assist of the season by nailing a runner at home plate in the eighth before ending the game with a sensational diving catch in right-center field on the warning track.
Omaha lefty Jake Kalish (5.0 IP, 3 H, R, 0 ER, 4 K) earned his fourth win after yielding a lone unearned run on three hits in five solid frames in support of Josh Staumont (2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 K), who fired the first two shutout frames. Relievers Tim Hill (1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 K) and Ben Lively (1.0 IP, BB, 2 K) finished the job by combining for two shutout innings, with Lively notching his third save. Isotopes southpaw Kyle Freeland (5.0 IP, 9 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 2 K) suffered the defeat.
Following the series sweep, the Storm Chasers are set to continue their homestand by starting a four-game series versus the El Paso Chihuahuas. First pitch at Werner Park on Friday evening is set for 7:05pm CT. Omaha is anticipated to give the nod to RHP Arnaldo Hernandez (1-2, 8.51), while El Paso is expected to send LHP Dillon Overton (1-2, 6.08) to the hill.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 7, 2019
- Starling, Chasers Complete Sweep of Isotopes with 4-1 Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- France Ignites Big Second in Chihuahuas Victory - El Paso Chihuahuas
- River Cats dominate Baby Cakes in series opener - Sacramento River Cats
- 'Cakes Blanked by Sacramento, 10-0 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Isotopes Open Series in Iowa with 8-4 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Jake Lamb Scheduled to Begin Rehab Assignment in Reno - Reno Aces
- International Soccer Returns to Dell Diamond on July 7 - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Las Vegas Aviators - San Antonio Missions
- Chihuahuas, Missions Lead Early All-Star Voting with Eight Players Each - PCL
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 7, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express OF Kyle Tucker Named Astros Player of the Month - Round Rock Express
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (25-36) at Reno Aces (26-34) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Return Home Wednesday for Seven-Game Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- Aviators, Express Complete Record-Breaking Series - Las Vegas Aviators
- RS3 Turf to Provide Services for Cincinnati Bengals - Round Rock Express
- Express Humble Aviators in Lopsided 26-11 Victory - Round Rock Express
- Aces Victorious in Walk-Off Fashion - Reno Aces
- Sounds Fall to Reno in Slugfest - Nashville Sounds
- Rainiers Drop Three-Game Series Finale to Memphis on Thursday - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds Win Series After 7-0 Shutout at Tacoma - Memphis Redbirds
- Dodgers Rally Late But Fall to River Cats - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- El Paso Nabs Sweep in Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Avelino stays hot as River Cats defeat Dodgers - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- "Why I Want to Go to College" Writing Contest Winners Announced
- Chasers Charities Announces Robinson Scholarship Winners
- Drive-In Fireworks Return to Werner Park on May 9
- Storm Chasers Join MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign
- Werner Park to be Ready for Opening Night