Snappers Drop Series Opener against Cougars 6-1
BELOIT, WI - The Beloit Snappers fell to the Kane County Cougars in the series opener in Kane County by a final score of 6-1. Today was the Snappers first contest in Kane County and marks the first of seven straight games on the road for Beloit.
The Snappers would strike early, pushing a run across in the first inning to take the lead right out of the gates. After Joseph Pena walked to begin the game, John Jones would reach on a hard hit ball that was misplayed by Kane County to plate Pena and give the Snappers the 1-0 lead.
Unfortunately, though, that would be the end of the scoring for the Snappers, as they would fail to score the rest of the game, despite a 7-hit effort.
For Kane County, they would only end up with a couple more hits than the Snappers, but collected runs in five different innings to secure a 6-1 victory.
Kane County would plate a run in the first, second, fifth, and eighth, while collecting a two-run inning in the fourth to score all six runs for the Cougars in the ballgame tonight.
For the Snappers on the mound, Beloit would give the ball to righthander Chase Cohen to start. Cohen would throw four innings, surrendering six hits and three earned runs, while punching out five Cougars.
Brandon Withers would be first out of the bullpen and would throw two innings giving up just two hits and one run. Wandisson Charles would follow Withers and throw two innings of his own, while giving up just one run on one hit.
The Snappers will be back in action tomorrow to continue the road trip in Kane County with first pitch scheduled for 6:30 P.M. Righty Mike Murray will get the start for Beloit in the contest against Cougars' Levi Kelly.
The Beloit Snappers are a member of the Midwest League and have been the Single-A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics since 2013. For more ticket information, contact the Snappers office at (608) 362-2272 or visit our website, www.snappersbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 24, 2019
- Balanced Attack Boosts Bandits to Series-Opening 12-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Cruise Past Dayton 8-2 to Win Third Straight - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Thompson Dominates as Cubs Whitewash Whitecaps 4-0 - South Bend Cubs
- Bees Blank LumberKings in Series Opener - Clinton LumberKings
- River Bandits Pull Away from Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers Drop Series Opener against Cougars 6-1 - Beloit Snappers
- Count 'Em: 20 Hits - Great Lakes Loons
- Shannon, Weiss Provide Friday Fireworks - Kane County Cougars
- Benson Blasts Two Homers in 7-2 Win at Lansing - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Score Late Runs to Take Game One - Peoria Chiefs
- 'Caps Rough Start Continues - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Fall to Hot Rods Despite Home Runs by Siani and Rey - Dayton Dragons
- Peoria Prevails over Palm, Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Winning Streak Ends in Michigan - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Benson Blasts Caps Past Lugs, 7-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugnuts Activate Outfielder Neal - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 24 at Great Lakes (Game 45) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Ohio and Dragons Present An Anthem Home Run for Life - Dayton Dragons
- Bees Edged by Kernels in Pitchers' Duel - Burlington Bees
- Snappers mount massive comeback in suspended game, drop nightcap - Beloit Snappers
- LumberKings Split Double Dip with Snappers - Clinton LumberKings
- Captains Close out Dayton Series with Shutout Win - Lake County Captains
- Unassuming, Kind and Heartwarming: Ed Larson, a Bees Legend - Burlington Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Beloit Snappers Stories
- Familiar Faces to Lead Snappers 2020 Field Staff
- Plan for Downtown Beloit Stadium Development Announced Along with New Ownership
- Future Stars, Baseball, and New Promotions Highlight Snappers Fun-Filled 2019 Season
- Snappers Drop Final Game Of 2019 Season
- 4-Run Third Inning Cost Snappers in 5-1 Loss