Dragons Fall to Hot Rods Despite Home Runs by Siani and Rey
Bowling Green, Ky. - The Bowling Green Hot Rods raced out to an 8-1 lead over the first five innings and held on to defeat the Dayton Dragons 8-2 on Friday night in the first game of a four-game series.
Both Dayton runs came on solo home runs. Michael Siani hit his third of the season in the third inning, and Brian Rey belted his second of the year in the sixth.
Bowling Green took the lead with two runs in the second. After Siani's homer made it 2-1, the Hot Rods scored one more in the third, two in the fourth, and three in the fifth to extend their lead. Rey's homer in the sixth closed out the scoring.
Siani was 3 for 4 with the homer and two singles to lead the Dragons seven-hit attack.
Dragons starting pitcher Ricky Salinas (1-2) was charged with the loss. He worked four innings, allowing eight runs (six earned) on nine hits with three walks and two strikeouts. Jerry D'Andrea entered the game in the fifth with the bases loaded and no one out. He finished the inning, allowing all three inherited runners to score (all were charged to Salinas) while giving up three hits with one strikeout. D'Andrea was not charged with a run. Moises Nova replaced D'Andrea to start the sixth and tossed three scoreless innings, allowing three hits with no walks and one strikeout.
Notes: Dragons left fielder Brian Rey threw out two runners at home plate in the same inning. In the bottom of the third, Rey nailed Ford Proctor trying to score from second on a base hit for the second out of the inning, then threw out Chris Betts also trying to score from second on a single to end the frame...The Dragons have placed outfielder Mariel Bautista on the injured list with a sore shoulder. Outfielder Randy Ventura will join the Dragons from Daytona on Saturday. He spent time with the Dayton club in both 2017 and 2018.
Up Next: The Dragons (15-33) meet the Hot Rods (28-20) again on Saturday at 7:35 p.m. (EDT) in the second game of the series. Jhon De Jesus (1-3, 4.96) will start for Dayton against Bowling Green's Easton McGee (3-0, 2.29). The next Dragons home game at Fifth Third Field is Tuesday, May 28 at 7:00 p.m. against the Lansing Lugnuts.
On the Air: All Dragons games are broadcast on radio on Fox Sports 980 WONE AM. Games can be heard on smart phones, iPads, and other mobile devices via the free Dragons Mobile App, or on a computer at wone.com. Games are also available on HD Radio on 104.7 WTUI HD 2. All Saturday and Sunday home games are televised on Dayton's CW (channel 26; Spectrum cable channels 13 and 1013).
For Dragons 2019 ticket information, call (937) 228-2287.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 24, 2019
- Balanced Attack Boosts Bandits to Series-Opening 12-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Cruise Past Dayton 8-2 to Win Third Straight - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Thompson Dominates as Cubs Whitewash Whitecaps 4-0 - South Bend Cubs
- Bees Blank LumberKings in Series Opener - Clinton LumberKings
- River Bandits Pull Away from Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers Drop Series Opener against Cougars 6-1 - Beloit Snappers
- Count 'Em: 20 Hits - Great Lakes Loons
- Shannon, Weiss Provide Friday Fireworks - Kane County Cougars
- Benson Blasts Two Homers in 7-2 Win at Lansing - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Score Late Runs to Take Game One - Peoria Chiefs
- 'Caps Rough Start Continues - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Fall to Hot Rods Despite Home Runs by Siani and Rey - Dayton Dragons
- Peoria Prevails over Palm, Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Winning Streak Ends in Michigan - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Benson Blasts Caps Past Lugs, 7-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugnuts Activate Outfielder Neal - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 24 at Great Lakes (Game 45) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Ohio and Dragons Present An Anthem Home Run for Life - Dayton Dragons
- Bees Edged by Kernels in Pitchers' Duel - Burlington Bees
- Snappers mount massive comeback in suspended game, drop nightcap - Beloit Snappers
- LumberKings Split Double Dip with Snappers - Clinton LumberKings
- Captains Close out Dayton Series with Shutout Win - Lake County Captains
- Unassuming, Kind and Heartwarming: Ed Larson, a Bees Legend - Burlington Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dayton Dragons Issue Statement Regarding Governor's Order
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Team Preview, Part 3: Second Basemen
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Team Preview, Part 2: First Basemen
- Dragons Single-Game Ticket Sales to Begin Wednesday, March 11
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Preview, Part 1: Catchers