Shannon, Weiss Provide Friday Fireworks
Geneva, Illinois - The Kane County Cougars (26-22) hopped on the backs of starter Ryan Weiss and infielder Zack Shannon in a 6-1 win over the Beloit Snappers (16-30) on Friday night at Northwestern Medicine Field. Ryan Weiss (2-4) scattered two hits over five innings of one-run ball. Zack Shannon chipped in with a two-hit, two-RBI night.
Weiss' only run allowed came in the first inning. The right-hander walked the leadoff batter, Joseph Pena. With one out, Ryan Gridley singled to shift runners to first and third. Snappers cleanup hitter John Jones bounced a ball to first base that Zack Shannon couldn't handle. Everyone was safe and Pena came in to make it 1-0 Beloit. That was all the scoring Beloit did against Weiss. He faced the minimum over his final two innings of work.
The Cougar offense got a jolt on an RBI double from Buddy Kennedy in the bottom of the first. They took the lead for good in the second inning on Shannon's first RBI single of the night. The Cougars continued to add on in the bottom of the fourth. Alek Thomas collected an RBI single and later came around to score on a wild pitch. Shannon's second RBI single of the night came in the fifth to make it 5-1. Tra Holmes punctuated the night with an RBI double in the bottom of the eighth.
Beloit starter Chase Cohen (4-5) was hit with the loss. Three of the four runs he allowed were earned in four innings.
The Cougars and Snappers play game two of the four-game series on Saturday night at 6:30 P.M. For tickets call 630-232-8811 or order online at kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 24, 2019
- Balanced Attack Boosts Bandits to Series-Opening 12-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Cruise Past Dayton 8-2 to Win Third Straight - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Thompson Dominates as Cubs Whitewash Whitecaps 4-0 - South Bend Cubs
- Bees Blank LumberKings in Series Opener - Clinton LumberKings
- River Bandits Pull Away from Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers Drop Series Opener against Cougars 6-1 - Beloit Snappers
- Count 'Em: 20 Hits - Great Lakes Loons
- Shannon, Weiss Provide Friday Fireworks - Kane County Cougars
- Benson Blasts Two Homers in 7-2 Win at Lansing - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Score Late Runs to Take Game One - Peoria Chiefs
- 'Caps Rough Start Continues - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Fall to Hot Rods Despite Home Runs by Siani and Rey - Dayton Dragons
- Peoria Prevails over Palm, Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Winning Streak Ends in Michigan - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Benson Blasts Caps Past Lugs, 7-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugnuts Activate Outfielder Neal - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 24 at Great Lakes (Game 45) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Ohio and Dragons Present An Anthem Home Run for Life - Dayton Dragons
- Bees Edged by Kernels in Pitchers' Duel - Burlington Bees
- Snappers mount massive comeback in suspended game, drop nightcap - Beloit Snappers
- LumberKings Split Double Dip with Snappers - Clinton LumberKings
- Captains Close out Dayton Series with Shutout Win - Lake County Captains
- Unassuming, Kind and Heartwarming: Ed Larson, a Bees Legend - Burlington Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season