Senators Shut out by Providence
The Belleville Senators were shut out for the third time this season in a 2-0 loss to the Providence Bruins Friday night.
Marcus Hogberg made 22 saves in the Belleville net. Providence's Zane McIntrye stopped 14 shots while Peter Cehlarik and Jordan Schwarz scored.
Chase Balisy had the best chance in the first period for Belleville as on a partial break inside the last three minutes of the period, he couldn't slide a backhander past McIntyre who got left pad down for the save.
It proved to be a big save as the Bruins took the lead with 1:34 left on the power play through Cehlarik's 12th of the year as he buried the puck into an empty cage after a nice set-up from Trent Frederic.
Neither team could find the scoresheet in the second frame but Belleville suffered a big loss in the final 30 seconds of the period as Darren Archibald was given a five-minute major and a 10-minute game-misconduct for cross-checking Frederic in the head.
The Sens only mustered one shot in the third period and the Bruins put the game out of reach in the final minute through an empty-net goal by Schwarz.
Archibald played in his 400th career AHL game tonight while Andreas Englund played in his 200th.
Belleville is back in action Saturday when they visit Bridgeport from the only time this season. The Sens are back home Wednesday to host the Syracuse Crunch. Tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2019
- STARS Stars Fall to Wolves in 4-1 Decision - Texas Stars
- Amerks Drop Third Straight in 5-2 Loss to Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Fall to Phantoms, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolves Boost Central Division Lead - Chicago Wolves
- Aube-Kubel Scores Twice in Phantoms Win at Wilkes-Barre - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Stun Amerks 5-2 Behind 32 Saves from Jean-Francois Berube - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Lose 7-2 to Thunderbirds - Binghamton Devils
- Greco's 2nd Hat Trick of Year Powers T-Birds Past Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- McIntyre Ties Team Shutout Record in 2-0 Win - Providence Bruins
- Comets Snap Winless Skid with Shootout Win - Utica Comets
- Senators Shut out by Providence - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Clinch Spot in Calder Cup Playoffs - Charlotte Checkers
- Detroit Recalls Matt Puempel - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Sign Goaltender Byron Spriggs - Manitoba Moose
- Heat Add Two NCAA Free Agents on ATO's - Stockton Heat
- Sens to Host Relocation and Pick Your Seat Event - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Sign Colton Conrad to Two-Year AHL Contract - Toronto Marlies
- Gulls Reassign Three to ECHL - San Diego Gulls
- San Diego Gulls Sign Brent Gates Jr. and Steven Ruggiero to Amateur Tryouts - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Wild Signs Forward Tyler Sheehy to ATO - Iowa Wild
- Moose Sign Forward Cole Maier - Manitoba Moose
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Goaltender Connor Ingram to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Host Alumni Night, Dri-Fit Quarter Zip Giveaway Saturday - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Look to Tame Wild Friday in Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Jets Recall Eric Comrie - Manitoba Moose
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Forward Ryan Lohin to Two-Year Entry-Level Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Host Equipment Sale and Jake Engel Memorial Dog Game - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Bruins, March 22 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.