Detroit Recalls Matt Puempel
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Detroit Red Wings on Friday recalled forward Matt Puempel from the Grand Rapids Griffins.
??Puempel, 26, ranks among the Griffins leaders this season with 50 points (2nd), 24 goals (2nd), 26 assists (3rd) and eight power play goals (1st) while adding a plus-six rating and 38 penalty minutes in 59 games. His team-high 215 shots place third in the AHL. Puempel shows 14 points (7-7-14) in his last 14 games and is on a three-game point streak (2-1-3).
??Should he debut with Detroit, Puempel will become the 177th Griffins alumnus to play in the NHL. Detroit plays at the Vegas Golden Knights on Saturday at 10 p.m. EDT.
??Acquired by the Red Wings from the New York Rangers in exchange for Ryan Sproul on Oct. 21, 2017, Puempel has amassed 104 points (46-58-104), a plus-12 rating and 59 PIM in 116 games with Grand Rapids and was named to the 2018 AHL All-Star Classic, his first pro all-star appearance. Since making his AHL debut with the Binghamton Senators near the end of the 2011-12 season, the 6-foot-1, 205-pound winger has totaled 218 points (107-111-218) and 201 PIM in 291 career contests between Binghamton (2011-16), Hartford (2017-18) and Grand Rapids.
??Originally drafted 24th overall by the Ottawa Senators in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Puempel has logged 79 career NHL games between Ottawa (2014-17) and New York (2016-17) and posted 15 points (10-5-15) and 28 PIM. He spent the entire 2016-17 campaign in the NHL, registering no points in 13 games with Ottawa before being claimed off waivers by New York and going on to tally nine points (6-3-9) in 27 appearances.
??Prior to turning pro, the Essex, Ontario, native played four seasons in the Ontario Hockey League and banked 213 points (119-94-213) in 195 games between Peterborough (2009-12) and Kitchener (2012-13). He was named OHL Rookie of the Year and to the Canadian Major Junior All-Rookie Team in 2010 after leading all first-year OHL skaters with 64 points (33-31-64) in 59 games.
??The Griffins continue their season-high six-game road trip on Saturday against the Texas Stars at 8 p.m. EDT.
?Single-game tickets are currently on sale. Fans can secure their full-season, select-season or group ticket packages by calling (616) 774-4585 ext. 2 or visit griffinshockey.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2019
- STARS Stars Fall to Wolves in 4-1 Decision - Texas Stars
- Amerks Drop Third Straight in 5-2 Loss to Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Fall to Phantoms, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolves Boost Central Division Lead - Chicago Wolves
- Aube-Kubel Scores Twice in Phantoms Win at Wilkes-Barre - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Stun Amerks 5-2 Behind 32 Saves from Jean-Francois Berube - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Lose 7-2 to Thunderbirds - Binghamton Devils
- Greco's 2nd Hat Trick of Year Powers T-Birds Past Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- McIntyre Ties Team Shutout Record in 2-0 Win - Providence Bruins
- Comets Snap Winless Skid with Shootout Win - Utica Comets
- Senators Shut out by Providence - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Clinch Spot in Calder Cup Playoffs - Charlotte Checkers
- Detroit Recalls Matt Puempel - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Sign Goaltender Byron Spriggs - Manitoba Moose
- Heat Add Two NCAA Free Agents on ATO's - Stockton Heat
- Sens to Host Relocation and Pick Your Seat Event - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Sign Colton Conrad to Two-Year AHL Contract - Toronto Marlies
- Gulls Reassign Three to ECHL - San Diego Gulls
- San Diego Gulls Sign Brent Gates Jr. and Steven Ruggiero to Amateur Tryouts - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Wild Signs Forward Tyler Sheehy to ATO - Iowa Wild
- Moose Sign Forward Cole Maier - Manitoba Moose
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Goaltender Connor Ingram to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Host Alumni Night, Dri-Fit Quarter Zip Giveaway Saturday - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Look to Tame Wild Friday in Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Jets Recall Eric Comrie - Manitoba Moose
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Forward Ryan Lohin to Two-Year Entry-Level Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Host Equipment Sale and Jake Engel Memorial Dog Game - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Bruins, March 22 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.