Aube-Kubel Scores Twice in Phantoms Win at Wilkes-Barre
Wilkes-Barre, PA - Nicolas Aube-Kubel recorded his second multi-goal game of the season to lead the Lehigh Valley Phantoms to a 3-2 victory at the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Friday night.
Aube-Kubel's 14th goal of the campaign, and second of the evening, came in the opening minute of the third period in a scramble at the net front with Byron Froese jabbing his stick in there to keep the play alive. That broke a 2-2 tie and the Phantoms were able to hang on from there for their second win in a row. Chris Conner (14th) scored for a second game in a row while Alex Lyon made 26 saves in his 14th win of the season.
Ryan Haggerty (17th, 18th) scored both goals for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton while goalie Tristan Jarry was tagged with the loss.
The feisty battle saw a handful of nasty hits and ensuing scrums in an intense game that was merely a continuation of a brewing rivalry all season long. The two teams will rematch on Saturday night at PPL Center potentially with a few more scores left to settle.
"It's one of those series that games are tough," Phantoms head coach Kerry Huffman said. "They've kind of gone both ways a little bit. They came into our building and beat us. We came in here last two times and beat them. It's got a little playoff to it."
Phantoms defenseman Mark Friedman was rocked from behind by Wilkes-Barre's Joseph Cramarossa in the second period drawing the attention of Carsen Twarynski among other players.
Lehigh Valley's T.J. Brennan elbowed into Cramarossa in the third period on another hard hit. And late in the game, Ryan Haggerty boarded into Phantoms forward Byron Froese sparking a scrum behind the Lehigh Valley net that involved Mark Friedman and Sam Lafferty engaged in a harsh grappling match.
Lehigh Valley (32-27-6) kept pace with fourth-place Providence for the last playoff spot. The Bruins won their game on Friday over the Belleville Senators 2-0 this keeping the Phantoms seven points back with 11 games remaining in the regular season. The Phantoms also pulled directly into a fifth-place tie with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (30-25-10) while finishing their successful run of games at Mohegan Sun Arena with a 4-1-1 mark.
Lehigh Valley out shot the Penguins 32-28 while both teams went 0-for-5 on the power play.
The Phantoms have just four home games remaining in the regular season and Saturday night represents the last match at home for two weeks preceding a five-game road-trip.
Lehigh Valley Phantoms 3 at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 2 - Status: Final
Friday - Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza
Lehigh Valley 0 2 1 - 3
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 1 1 0 - 2
1st Period-1, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Haggerty 17 7:06. Penalties-Blandisi Wbs (tripping), 3:37; Friedman Lv (elbowing), 7:36; Angello Wbs (slashing), 14:02; Aube-Kubel Lv (cross-checking), 16:22.
2nd Period-2, Lehigh Valley, Aube-Kubel 13 (Samuelsson, Kase), 8:36. 3, Lehigh Valley, Conner 14 (Bardreau, de Haas), 12:46. 4, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Haggerty 18 (Miletic, Lafferty), 16:39. Penalties-Prow Wbs (slashing), 6:31; Twarynski Lv (roughing), 17:49; Cramarossa Wbs (roughing, interference), 17:49.
3rd Period-5, Lehigh Valley, Aube-Kubel 14 (Froese, Goulbourne), 0:28. Penalties-Friedman Lv (slashing), 1:29; Brennan Lv (elbowing), 5:13; Friedman Lv (roughing, roughing), 17:44; Haggerty Wbs (boarding), 17:44; Lafferty Wbs (roughing, roughing), 17:44; Aube-Kubel Lv (hooking), 19:52.
Shots on Goal-Lehigh Valley 6-12-14-32. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 8-10-10-28.
Power Play Opportunities-Lehigh Valley 0 / 5; Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 0 / 5.
Goalies-Lehigh Valley, Lyon 14-15-2 (28 shots-26 saves). Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Jarry 20-13-8 (32 shots-29 saves).
Referees-Kenny Anderson (66), Stephen Reneau (34).
Linesmen-Tyler Loftus (11), J.P. Waleski (14).
NEXT TIME OUT: The Phantoms and Penguins will rematch on Saturday at 7:05 p.m. at PPL Center on Spring Break Night. Tickets are available at PPLCenter.com
Follow the action @LVPhantoms on Twitter, on AHLTV or the Phantoms365 App.
Tickets for each and every Phantoms home game throughout the 2018-19 season are available online at pplcenter.com, by calling 610-347-TIXX  or in-person at the QNB Box Office [7th & Hamilton].
Images from this story
Lehigh Valley Phantoms celebrate a goal against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
Lehigh Valley Phantoms brawl with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2019
- STARS Stars Fall to Wolves in 4-1 Decision - Texas Stars
- Amerks Drop Third Straight in 5-2 Loss to Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Fall to Phantoms, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolves Boost Central Division Lead - Chicago Wolves
- Aube-Kubel Scores Twice in Phantoms Win at Wilkes-Barre - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Stun Amerks 5-2 Behind 32 Saves from Jean-Francois Berube - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Lose 7-2 to Thunderbirds - Binghamton Devils
- Greco's 2nd Hat Trick of Year Powers T-Birds Past Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- McIntyre Ties Team Shutout Record in 2-0 Win - Providence Bruins
- Comets Snap Winless Skid with Shootout Win - Utica Comets
- Senators Shut out by Providence - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Clinch Spot in Calder Cup Playoffs - Charlotte Checkers
- Detroit Recalls Matt Puempel - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Sign Goaltender Byron Spriggs - Manitoba Moose
- Heat Add Two NCAA Free Agents on ATO's - Stockton Heat
- Sens to Host Relocation and Pick Your Seat Event - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Sign Colton Conrad to Two-Year AHL Contract - Toronto Marlies
- Gulls Reassign Three to ECHL - San Diego Gulls
- San Diego Gulls Sign Brent Gates Jr. and Steven Ruggiero to Amateur Tryouts - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Wild Signs Forward Tyler Sheehy to ATO - Iowa Wild
- Moose Sign Forward Cole Maier - Manitoba Moose
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Goaltender Connor Ingram to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Host Alumni Night, Dri-Fit Quarter Zip Giveaway Saturday - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Look to Tame Wild Friday in Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Jets Recall Eric Comrie - Manitoba Moose
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Forward Ryan Lohin to Two-Year Entry-Level Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Host Equipment Sale and Jake Engel Memorial Dog Game - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Bruins, March 22 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.