McIntyre Ties Team Shutout Record in 2-0 Win
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins shutout the Belleville Senators 2-0 Friday night in the first of their two-game home weekend. The P-Bruins got goals from Peter Cehlarik and Jordan Szwarz while Zane McIntyre made his 40th start of the season in net.
The Providence Bruins began the first period with fast pace and defensive skill. The Belleville Senators struggled to get the puck past the goal line, registering only six shots in the period. The P-Bruins stayed strong and finally broke through on the power play late in the period. Peter Cehlarik lit the lamp for Providence at 18:26, with helpers from Trent Frederic and Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson. The P-Bruins took a 1-0 lead into the first intermission.
The Senators attempted to make a comeback at the start of the second period, but were unsuccessful in their power play. Providence stayed steady with their pace and tight defense as tensions flared between the opposing teams. Belleville's Darren Archibald was ejected from the game after receiving a major and a game misconduct for cross-checking Trent Frederic at the end of the period. The P-Bruins kept their 1-0 lead into the second.
The P-Bruins determined more than ever to finish the third period with a win continued to play with extreme defense. Jordan Szwarz netted an unassisted goal at 19:06, a goal that made P-Bruins history. With his 20th goal of the season, he became the fifth player in team history with three 20+ goal seasons. McIntyre held on for the shutout win and tied another P-Bruins record. His 11th career shutout tied Tim Thomas and Hannu Toivonen's franchise record as Providence won 2-0.
McIntyre stopped 14 shots while Hogberg stopped 22 shots. Providence was 1/6 on the power play and 5-6 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins are back in action at the Dunk tomorrow night when they take on the Binghamton Devils at 7:05pm for the second half of their annual "Star Wars Weekend."
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2019
- STARS Stars Fall to Wolves in 4-1 Decision - Texas Stars
- Amerks Drop Third Straight in 5-2 Loss to Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Fall to Phantoms, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolves Boost Central Division Lead - Chicago Wolves
- Aube-Kubel Scores Twice in Phantoms Win at Wilkes-Barre - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Stun Amerks 5-2 Behind 32 Saves from Jean-Francois Berube - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Lose 7-2 to Thunderbirds - Binghamton Devils
- Greco's 2nd Hat Trick of Year Powers T-Birds Past Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- McIntyre Ties Team Shutout Record in 2-0 Win - Providence Bruins
- Comets Snap Winless Skid with Shootout Win - Utica Comets
- Senators Shut out by Providence - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Clinch Spot in Calder Cup Playoffs - Charlotte Checkers
- Detroit Recalls Matt Puempel - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Sign Goaltender Byron Spriggs - Manitoba Moose
- Heat Add Two NCAA Free Agents on ATO's - Stockton Heat
- Sens to Host Relocation and Pick Your Seat Event - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Sign Colton Conrad to Two-Year AHL Contract - Toronto Marlies
- Gulls Reassign Three to ECHL - San Diego Gulls
- San Diego Gulls Sign Brent Gates Jr. and Steven Ruggiero to Amateur Tryouts - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Wild Signs Forward Tyler Sheehy to ATO - Iowa Wild
- Moose Sign Forward Cole Maier - Manitoba Moose
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Goaltender Connor Ingram to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Host Alumni Night, Dri-Fit Quarter Zip Giveaway Saturday - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Look to Tame Wild Friday in Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Jets Recall Eric Comrie - Manitoba Moose
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Forward Ryan Lohin to Two-Year Entry-Level Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Host Equipment Sale and Jake Engel Memorial Dog Game - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Bruins, March 22 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Fall to Hartford Wolf Pack, 4-1
- P-Bruins Grab Sixth Straight Win, Beat Utica Comets in Shootout, 3-2
- P-Bruins Win Fifth Straight Game, Top Binghamton Devils, 6-2
- P-Bruins Score Three in Second Period, Shut out Charlotte Checkers, 4-0
- P-Bruins Win Third Straight, Defeat Charlotte Checkers, 4-1