Comets Snap Winless Skid with Shootout Win
Utica, N.Y. - The Utica Comets fought out of a 1-0 deficit to comeback and beat the Laval Rocket 2-1 in a shootout Friday night at the Adirondack Bank Center. Tanner Kero scored the lone regulation goal, while Seamus Malone and Lukas Jasek scored in the shootout to give the Comets the win. Michael Leighton made 13 saves on 14 shots.
Brett Lernout got the scoring starting with a long wrister that found its way past Leighton 3:27 into the first period. Despite three power play opportunities and 12 shots on goal, the Comets were unable to break through Rocket goaltender Connor LaCouvee and trailed 1-0 after the opening 20.
The Comets were gifted two more power play opportunities and outshot the Rocket 14-2 in the middle frame but the score remained 1-0 Laval through two periods.
Kero poked home a loose puck halfway through the third period to tie the game at one. Tom Pyatt and Jalen Chatfield had the assists. The Comets continued to press and held Laval to one shot in the final frame, however neither team could find a go-ahead goal and the game headed to overtime.
The North Division rivals traded chances in overtime but no one could convert and the game would require a shootout.
Malone and Alex Belzile traded goals in the shootout before Jasek scored the winner in the fifth round of the shootout.
The Comets go right back at it tomorrow night against the Syracuse Crunch. Puck drop at the War Memorial Arena is at 7 p.m. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHL TV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2019
- STARS Stars Fall to Wolves in 4-1 Decision - Texas Stars
- Amerks Drop Third Straight in 5-2 Loss to Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Fall to Phantoms, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolves Boost Central Division Lead - Chicago Wolves
- Aube-Kubel Scores Twice in Phantoms Win at Wilkes-Barre - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Stun Amerks 5-2 Behind 32 Saves from Jean-Francois Berube - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Lose 7-2 to Thunderbirds - Binghamton Devils
- Greco's 2nd Hat Trick of Year Powers T-Birds Past Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- McIntyre Ties Team Shutout Record in 2-0 Win - Providence Bruins
- Comets Snap Winless Skid with Shootout Win - Utica Comets
- Senators Shut out by Providence - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Clinch Spot in Calder Cup Playoffs - Charlotte Checkers
- Detroit Recalls Matt Puempel - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Sign Goaltender Byron Spriggs - Manitoba Moose
- Heat Add Two NCAA Free Agents on ATO's - Stockton Heat
- Sens to Host Relocation and Pick Your Seat Event - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Sign Colton Conrad to Two-Year AHL Contract - Toronto Marlies
- Gulls Reassign Three to ECHL - San Diego Gulls
- San Diego Gulls Sign Brent Gates Jr. and Steven Ruggiero to Amateur Tryouts - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Wild Signs Forward Tyler Sheehy to ATO - Iowa Wild
- Moose Sign Forward Cole Maier - Manitoba Moose
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Goaltender Connor Ingram to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Host Alumni Night, Dri-Fit Quarter Zip Giveaway Saturday - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Look to Tame Wild Friday in Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Jets Recall Eric Comrie - Manitoba Moose
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Forward Ryan Lohin to Two-Year Entry-Level Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Host Equipment Sale and Jake Engel Memorial Dog Game - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Bruins, March 22 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.