Devils Lose 7-2 to Thunderbirds
SPRINGFIELD - The Binghamton Devils fell to the Springfield Thunderbirds 7-2 on Friday night in front of 6,010 at MassMutual Center.
The Thunderbirds opened the scoring midway through the first period while on the power play. Cam Johnson made the original save on a Thunderbirds odd-man rush, but Juho Lammikko pounced on the rebound and fired it into the yawning cage. The goal came 10:07 into the game with assists from Anthony Greco and Jacob MacDonald.
The Thunderbirds pushed the lead to 2-0 with 5:04 remaining in the first. Greco forced a turnover behind the Devils net and snapped a quick shot through Johnson's legs with helpers from Adam Rockwood and Ludwig Bystrom.
Binghamton appeared to cut the deficit to one when Sam Kurker forced a loose puck in the crease past Chris Driedger. However, upon review it was deemed that Kurker kicked the puck into the net. The Devils went into intermission trailing 2-0.
At the 8:08 mark of the second period, Thomas Schemitsch gave Springfield a 3-0 lead. Schemitsch took a drop pass at the Binghamton blue line, cut through the high slot, and beat Johnson with a quick wrister. The goal was his seventh of the year with assists credited to Jean-Sebastian Dea and Riley Stillman.
Binghamton got on the board with 4:07 remaining in the middle frame. On the power play, Ryan Murphy set up Ryan Schmelzer for a one timer from the left wing circle. Schmelzer caught all of it, and hammered the puck past Driedger, closing the gap to 3-1 with his 11th of the year from Murphy and Brett Seney.
The Thunderbirds put an abrupt end to the Devils comeback bid in the third, scoring two goals in the first six minutes of the period to push their lead to 5-1.
Nikita Popugaev added a goal in the third period on a slick passing play with Brandon Gignac. However, that's as close as the Devils would get as Springfield added a sixth and seventh goal for a 7-2 win over Binghamton.
The Devils return home next Friday against Springfield and Saturday against Rochester. Friday, the Devils have a special guest appearance from WWE Hall of Famer Mark Henry. Fans can get a special VIP meet-and-greet package to hang out with the former World Heavyweight Champion. Then, Saturday is Superhero Night where fans can get a special Superhero Pack that comes with a FREE Devils Superhero Cape. Also, it's the final FREE postgame skate with the players. Call or text "TICKETS" to 607-722-7367.
Binghamton Devils full season memberships are now available for the 2019-20 season! Get great benefits such as FREE New Jersey Devils NHL tickets,exclusive access to Devils players, a brand new referral program, gift cards, and much more! For information on becoming a member, text "MEMBER" to 607-722-7367.
Images from this story
Binghamton Devels defend against the Springfield Thunderbirds
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2019
- STARS Stars Fall to Wolves in 4-1 Decision - Texas Stars
- Amerks Drop Third Straight in 5-2 Loss to Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Fall to Phantoms, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolves Boost Central Division Lead - Chicago Wolves
- Aube-Kubel Scores Twice in Phantoms Win at Wilkes-Barre - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Stun Amerks 5-2 Behind 32 Saves from Jean-Francois Berube - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Lose 7-2 to Thunderbirds - Binghamton Devils
- Greco's 2nd Hat Trick of Year Powers T-Birds Past Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- McIntyre Ties Team Shutout Record in 2-0 Win - Providence Bruins
- Comets Snap Winless Skid with Shootout Win - Utica Comets
- Senators Shut out by Providence - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Clinch Spot in Calder Cup Playoffs - Charlotte Checkers
- Detroit Recalls Matt Puempel - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Sign Goaltender Byron Spriggs - Manitoba Moose
- Heat Add Two NCAA Free Agents on ATO's - Stockton Heat
- Sens to Host Relocation and Pick Your Seat Event - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Sign Colton Conrad to Two-Year AHL Contract - Toronto Marlies
- Gulls Reassign Three to ECHL - San Diego Gulls
- San Diego Gulls Sign Brent Gates Jr. and Steven Ruggiero to Amateur Tryouts - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Wild Signs Forward Tyler Sheehy to ATO - Iowa Wild
- Moose Sign Forward Cole Maier - Manitoba Moose
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Goaltender Connor Ingram to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Host Alumni Night, Dri-Fit Quarter Zip Giveaway Saturday - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Look to Tame Wild Friday in Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Jets Recall Eric Comrie - Manitoba Moose
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Forward Ryan Lohin to Two-Year Entry-Level Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Host Equipment Sale and Jake Engel Memorial Dog Game - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Bruins, March 22 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.