Checkers Clinch Spot in Calder Cup Playoffs
The Charlotte Checkers today announced that they have clinched a spot in the American Hockey League's Calder Cup Playoffs. Though the Checkers did not play on Friday, they solidified their spot by way of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's regulation loss to Lehigh Valley.
While scheduling, seeding and opponent have not yet been determined, "Pay-as-we-Play" Playoff Packages requiring no money up front and offering the best savings and guaranteed tickets throughout the postseason are available now by calling (704) 342-4423, by visiting gocheckers.com/playoffs or by visiting the Ticket Information Table at any of the Checkers' six remaining regular-season home games.
Charlotte, which is currently 42-15-8 and has held the league's best record since Nov. 10, is the first AHL team to earn a playoff spot this season. The AHL's regular season concludes on Sunday, April 14.
This marks the third consecutive year and fifth time in their nine AHL seasons that the Checkers have qualified for the Calder Cup Playoffs. With 11 total games left to play in the regular season, the Checkers are just six standing points shy of topping the franchise record of 97 set during their inaugural AHL season in 2010-11.
The Checkers conclude a six-game home stand with back-to-back games against Hartford this Saturday (6 p.m.) and Sunday (3 p.m.) at Bojangles' Coliseum.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2019
- STARS Stars Fall to Wolves in 4-1 Decision - Texas Stars
- Amerks Drop Third Straight in 5-2 Loss to Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Fall to Phantoms, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolves Boost Central Division Lead - Chicago Wolves
- Aube-Kubel Scores Twice in Phantoms Win at Wilkes-Barre - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Stun Amerks 5-2 Behind 32 Saves from Jean-Francois Berube - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Lose 7-2 to Thunderbirds - Binghamton Devils
- Greco's 2nd Hat Trick of Year Powers T-Birds Past Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- McIntyre Ties Team Shutout Record in 2-0 Win - Providence Bruins
- Comets Snap Winless Skid with Shootout Win - Utica Comets
- Senators Shut out by Providence - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Clinch Spot in Calder Cup Playoffs - Charlotte Checkers
- Detroit Recalls Matt Puempel - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Sign Goaltender Byron Spriggs - Manitoba Moose
- Heat Add Two NCAA Free Agents on ATO's - Stockton Heat
- Sens to Host Relocation and Pick Your Seat Event - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Sign Colton Conrad to Two-Year AHL Contract - Toronto Marlies
- Gulls Reassign Three to ECHL - San Diego Gulls
- San Diego Gulls Sign Brent Gates Jr. and Steven Ruggiero to Amateur Tryouts - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Wild Signs Forward Tyler Sheehy to ATO - Iowa Wild
- Moose Sign Forward Cole Maier - Manitoba Moose
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Goaltender Connor Ingram to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Host Alumni Night, Dri-Fit Quarter Zip Giveaway Saturday - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Look to Tame Wild Friday in Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Jets Recall Eric Comrie - Manitoba Moose
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Forward Ryan Lohin to Two-Year Entry-Level Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Host Equipment Sale and Jake Engel Memorial Dog Game - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Bruins, March 22 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.