San Diego Gulls Sign Brent Gates Jr. and Steven Ruggiero to Amateur Tryouts
SAN DIEGO - The San Diego Gulls announced today that the American Hockey League (AHL) club has signed center Brent Gates Jr. and defenseman Steven Ruggiero to amateur tryout agreements (ATO).
Gates Jr., 21 (8/12/97), completed his senior season at the University of Minnesota (Big Ten) in 2018-19, scoring 13-18=31 in 38 games with a +1 rating and four penalty minutes (PIM). Gates Jr. set new career highs in points, assists and power-play goals (8), while he also served as team captain. Selected by the Anaheim Ducks in the third round (80th overall) of the 2015 NHL Draft, the 6-2, 198-pound forward scored 42-43... points with a +14 rating and 61 PIM in four seasons at Minnesota (2015-19), playing all the final 94 consecutive games to end his NCAA career.
A native of Grand Rapids, Mich., Gates Jr. was Minnesota's 2018-19 recipient of the Big Ten Sportsmanship Award and named to the Academic All-Big Ten team in 2017, 2018 and 2019. He also played two seasons with Green Bay (USHL) from 2013-15, earning 21-21=42 points in 83 games. His father, Brent Gates Sr., played seven Major League Baseball seasons with Oakland, Seattle and Minnesota.
Ruggiero, 22 (1/1/97), recorded a career high 6-5=11 points with a +8 rating and 72 PIM in 37 games during his senior season at Lake Superior State of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association. The 6-3, 220-pound native of Kings Park, N.Y. collected 6-8=14 points with a +13 rating and 111 PIM in 70 NCAA games with Lake Superior State (2017-19) and Providence College of Hockey East from 2015-17.
Selected by Anaheim in the sixth round (178th overall) of the 2015 NHL Draft, Ruggiero helped Team USA to a gold medal at the U-18 World Junior Championship in 2015.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2019
- STARS Stars Fall to Wolves in 4-1 Decision - Texas Stars
- Amerks Drop Third Straight in 5-2 Loss to Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Fall to Phantoms, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolves Boost Central Division Lead - Chicago Wolves
- Aube-Kubel Scores Twice in Phantoms Win at Wilkes-Barre - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Stun Amerks 5-2 Behind 32 Saves from Jean-Francois Berube - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Lose 7-2 to Thunderbirds - Binghamton Devils
- Greco's 2nd Hat Trick of Year Powers T-Birds Past Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- McIntyre Ties Team Shutout Record in 2-0 Win - Providence Bruins
- Comets Snap Winless Skid with Shootout Win - Utica Comets
- Senators Shut out by Providence - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Clinch Spot in Calder Cup Playoffs - Charlotte Checkers
- Detroit Recalls Matt Puempel - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Sign Goaltender Byron Spriggs - Manitoba Moose
- Heat Add Two NCAA Free Agents on ATO's - Stockton Heat
- Sens to Host Relocation and Pick Your Seat Event - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Sign Colton Conrad to Two-Year AHL Contract - Toronto Marlies
- Gulls Reassign Three to ECHL - San Diego Gulls
- San Diego Gulls Sign Brent Gates Jr. and Steven Ruggiero to Amateur Tryouts - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Wild Signs Forward Tyler Sheehy to ATO - Iowa Wild
- Moose Sign Forward Cole Maier - Manitoba Moose
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Goaltender Connor Ingram to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Host Alumni Night, Dri-Fit Quarter Zip Giveaway Saturday - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Look to Tame Wild Friday in Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Jets Recall Eric Comrie - Manitoba Moose
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Forward Ryan Lohin to Two-Year Entry-Level Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Host Equipment Sale and Jake Engel Memorial Dog Game - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Bruins, March 22 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.