Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Bruins, March 22
The Belleville Senators will look to build on its four-game point streak as they head into Rhode Island for the only time this season to face the Providence Bruins.
Belleville (33-25-3-5) came out victorious Wednesday in a huge tilt with the Utica Comets that saw the Sens push its North Division playoff lead for fourth place to six points over Utica and the Cleveland Monsters.
Providence (30-27-6-2) also sits fourth in their division as they hold the final playoff spot in the Atlantic. The Bruins trail Hershey by four points but hold a five-point lead on Wilkes Barre/Scranton.
The Bruins have one of the better home records in the AHL as they have only lost in regulation seven times in 32 games. Belleville is 13-17-2-2 on the road this year.
The Sens lost some ammo Thursday as Ottawa had to recall Vitaly Abramov, Erik Brannstrom and Filip Chlapik on an emergency basis.
Marcus Hogberg made his 15th straight start Wednesday so expect Filip Gustavsson, who hasn't played in the AHL since Feb. 9, to get a start either tonight or Saturday in Bridgeport.
Andrew Sturtz, Max Lajoie and Morgan Klimchuk are out for Belleville.
The teams have only squared off three times previously and the Sens have yet to lose in regulation to the Bruins as they hold a 2-0-0-1 record. Belleville won 3-2 in their only contest this season at CAA Arena on Dec. 8.
Who to watch
Blueliner Justin Falk had the game winning goal Wednesday against Utica inside the final two points and also tallied an assist in the victory. Falk has a goal and two helpers in eight games with the Senators since they acquired him.
Gemel Smith, who the Boston Bruins claimed on waivers earlier in the season, has tallied 31 points (13 goals) in 37 games this season. The Sens will also face former teammate Stuart Percy but they won't see Paul Carey, who is currently up with Boston in the NHL.
Where to watch
Friday's game starts at 7:05pm and can also be seen on AHLTV. Fans can also watch tonight's contest at Shoeless Joe's in Belleville.
The radio broadcast on CJBQ 800 begins at 6:55pm with Jack Miller on the call.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2019
- STARS Stars Fall to Wolves in 4-1 Decision - Texas Stars
- Amerks Drop Third Straight in 5-2 Loss to Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Fall to Phantoms, 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolves Boost Central Division Lead - Chicago Wolves
- Aube-Kubel Scores Twice in Phantoms Win at Wilkes-Barre - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Stun Amerks 5-2 Behind 32 Saves from Jean-Francois Berube - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Lose 7-2 to Thunderbirds - Binghamton Devils
- Greco's 2nd Hat Trick of Year Powers T-Birds Past Devils - Springfield Thunderbirds
- McIntyre Ties Team Shutout Record in 2-0 Win - Providence Bruins
- Comets Snap Winless Skid with Shootout Win - Utica Comets
- Senators Shut out by Providence - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Clinch Spot in Calder Cup Playoffs - Charlotte Checkers
- Detroit Recalls Matt Puempel - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Sign Goaltender Byron Spriggs - Manitoba Moose
- Heat Add Two NCAA Free Agents on ATO's - Stockton Heat
- Sens to Host Relocation and Pick Your Seat Event - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Sign Colton Conrad to Two-Year AHL Contract - Toronto Marlies
- Gulls Reassign Three to ECHL - San Diego Gulls
- San Diego Gulls Sign Brent Gates Jr. and Steven Ruggiero to Amateur Tryouts - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Wild Signs Forward Tyler Sheehy to ATO - Iowa Wild
- Moose Sign Forward Cole Maier - Manitoba Moose
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Goaltender Connor Ingram to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Host Alumni Night, Dri-Fit Quarter Zip Giveaway Saturday - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Look to Tame Wild Friday in Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Jets Recall Eric Comrie - Manitoba Moose
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Forward Ryan Lohin to Two-Year Entry-Level Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Host Equipment Sale and Jake Engel Memorial Dog Game - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Bruins, March 22 - Belleville Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.