Sea Dogs Fall to New Hampshire
(Manchester, NH) - New Hampshire 3B Bryan Kervin snapped a 5-5 tie with a run-scoring single in the bottom of the eighth inning and the Fisher Cats (38-45) took the series finale from the Portland Sea Dogs (39-43) 6-5 on Monday afternoon at Merchantsauto.com Stadium. Portland dropped 2 of 3 from the Fisher Cats and return home to Hadlock Field on Tuesday night.
SS Jed Lowrie's return to the Sea Dogs was the big story two hours before the scheduled first pitched. The former Sea Dog, who is recovering from a left-wrist injury (had surgery this past April), made his first rehab assignment with Portland and finished 3-for-5, 2 RBI with a double and 2 singles.
LHP Rommie Lewis (2-4) yielded one run over 2.2 IP on four hits and picked up the win for New Hampshire. RHP Bryce Cox (0-3) allowed the Kervin RBI single in the ninth inning and suffered his third loss of the season. Cox gave up three hits and one run over 1 IP.
Portland starter RHP Ryne Lawson took a no-decision, giving up five runs on six hits in 5 IP. New Hampshire scored in the first inning (3rd straight game) on a run-scoring ground out by DH Brian Dopirak. CF Darin Mastroianni began the frame with a single, stole second base and scored on consecutive grounds outs by LF Adam Calderone and Dopirak.
The Sea Dogs tied the game off spot starter RHP Adrian Martin in the third inning. RF Matt Sheely worked a walk to start the inning and stole second base. Lowrie smacked a run-scoring double over the head of the center fielder. New Hampshire took a 2-1 lead off Lawson in the fourth inning with two outs. The righty allowed a single to 1B David Cooper (2-for-4, RBI), hit 2B Brad Emaus (1-for-3) and RF Nick Gorneault snapped the tie with a single to left field.
CF Josh Reddick (2-for-4, HR, RBI, 2B, BB) tied the game at two with a solo-blast over the right-center field wall in the fifth inning. Reddick hit his 10th homer in just 174 at-bats this season and finished the series 6-for-14 (.429). The Fisher Cats scored three runs in their fourth off Lawson to take a 5-2 lead. Mastroianni walked with one out and scored on Calderone's run-scoring double. Dopirak and Cooper also produced RBI doubles to put New Hampshire in front 5-2.
The Sea Dogs tied the game in the seventh inning, knocking out LHP Nate Starner after a single by RF Matt Sheely and a walk to Reddick. Lewis entered the game and surrendered run-scoring singles to Lowrie, 3B Jorge Jimenez (2-for-5, RBI) and 1B Lars Anderson (1-for-4, RBI) to tie the game at five. Trailing 6-5 in the ninth inning, Reddick doubled but Lowrie and Jimenez were retired to end the game.
The Sea Dogs and the B-Mets open up a 3-game series on Tuesday night at Hadlock Field beginning at 7:00 PM. Catch all the action on the U.S. Cellular Sea Dogs Radio Network beginning at 6:35 PM with the Pre-Game Show built by CorrectDeck. RHP Junichi Tazawa (7-5, 2.85) will make his 16th start of the season against RHP Brad Holt (0-2, 9.00)
Notes...Lowrie will continue his rehab assignment with the Sea Dogs on Monday night against the Mets...LHP Tommy Hottovy worked two scoreless innings in his return to Portland...Reddick hit safely in all three games.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 6, 2009
- Curve Offense Explodes in Routs - Bowie Baysox
- Aeros Close Out Road Trip with 8-2 Loss - Akron RubberDucks
- Curve Power Past Baysox 12-3 - Altoona Curve
- New Britain Picks Up 3-1 Win Over Trenton On Monday Night - Trenton Thunder
- Garcia's Streak Alive, Erie Takes Game and Series - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Stephens on DL - Trenton Thunder
- Aerodynamics - Akron RubberDucks
- Sea Dogs Fall to New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Defenders Win Nail Biter 4-3 Over R-Phils - Connecticut Defenders
- Kervin's single lifts Fisher Cats over Sea Dogs, 6-5 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rock Cats Prepped For 7th Homestand Of 2009 - New Britain Rock Cats
- It's So Bad, We Couldn't Even Come Up With A Name For It - Altoona Curve
- Eastern League Announces Weekly Award Winners - EL
- Face Your Fears This Friday - Bowie Baysox
- Van Pelt Bobbles Into Bowie - Bowie Baysox
- Red Sox SS Jed Lowrie Playing in Manchester Today at Noon - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Jed Lowrie to Rehab with the Sea Dogs - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.