Jed Lowrie to Rehab with the Sea Dogs
Portland, Maine- The Boston Red Sox have assigned shortstop Jed Lowrie to the Portland Sea Dogs on a Major League rehabilitation assignment. Lowrie is expected to join the Sea Dogs on Monday, July 6th when the Sea Dogs take on the New Hampshire Fisher Cats (Blue Jays) at MerchantsAuto.com Stadium at 12:05 PM in Manchester, New Hampshire. Lowrie will wear uniform number 10. He is expected to be with the Sea Dogs when the team returns to Hadlock Field on Tuesday, July 7th at 7:00 PM when the Sea Dogs take on the Binghamton Mets.
Lowrie has been sidelined since April 12th with a wrist injury. He appeared in just five games for the Red Sox this season hitting .056 (1-for-18). In six rehab appearances with Triple-A Pawtucket he has batted .143 (2-for-14) with one RBI.
Lowrie got his first taste of Major League Baseball in 2008 splitting the season between the Red Sox and Triple-A Pawtucket. He appeared in 81 games for the Red Sox batting .258 (67-for-260) with two home runs and 46 RBI. He ranked third on the club in sacrifice flies (8), and fifth in doubles (25). Lowrie appeared in nine of Boston's 11 post-season games in 2008, including eight starts batting .207 (6-for-29) with two RBI. He hit safely in all three of his ALDS appearances including a walk-off single in the 9th inning to give Boston a 3-2 win and clinch the series, 3-1. He was just the fourth rookie ever to end a post-season series with a walk-off hit.
The 25 year-old was an Eastern League All-Star with the Sea Dogs in 2007 hitting .297 (100-for-337) in 93 games with eight home runs and 49 RBI before being promoted to Triple-A Pawtucket on July 27th. Lowrie reached base safely in 38 consecutive games for the Sea Dogs from April 29th through June 9th, the third longest streak in franchise history. Lowrie was named the Red Sox Minor League Offensive Player of the Year in 2007.
The Salem, Oregon native was selected by the Red Sox fourth pick (45th overall) in the 2005 First-Year Player Draft.
The Portland Sea Dogs begin a seven game homestand on Tuesday, July 7th at 7:00 PM against the Binghamton Mets. Tickets are available of most 2009 Sea Dogs' home games. Tickets can be purchased by calling the Sea Dogs Ticket Office at 207-879-9500 or order online at www.seadogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 6, 2009
- Curve Offense Explodes in Routs - Bowie Baysox
- Aeros Close Out Road Trip with 8-2 Loss - Akron RubberDucks
- Curve Power Past Baysox 12-3 - Altoona Curve
- New Britain Picks Up 3-1 Win Over Trenton On Monday Night - Trenton Thunder
- Garcia's Streak Alive, Erie Takes Game and Series - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Stephens on DL - Trenton Thunder
- Aerodynamics - Akron RubberDucks
- Sea Dogs Fall to New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Defenders Win Nail Biter 4-3 Over R-Phils - Connecticut Defenders
- Kervin's single lifts Fisher Cats over Sea Dogs, 6-5 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rock Cats Prepped For 7th Homestand Of 2009 - New Britain Rock Cats
- It's So Bad, We Couldn't Even Come Up With A Name For It - Altoona Curve
- Eastern League Announces Weekly Award Winners - EL
- Face Your Fears This Friday - Bowie Baysox
- Van Pelt Bobbles Into Bowie - Bowie Baysox
- Red Sox SS Jed Lowrie Playing in Manchester Today at Noon - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Jed Lowrie to Rehab with the Sea Dogs - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.