New Britain Picks Up 3-1 Win Over Trenton On Monday Night
(Trenton, NJ)- New Britain Starting Pitcher Yohan Pino only allowed one unearned run in 5 1/3 innings to lift the Rock Cats to a 3-1 win over Trenton on Monday night from Waterfront Park. New Britain won the final two games of the series, and now leads the season-series between the two teams 7-6.
New Britain (43-39) struck first with two runs in the top of the first inning off of Trenton Starting Pitcher Zach McAllister (5-4). The Rock Cats loaded the bases to start the inning on an infield single by Shortstop Yancarlos Ortiz, a walk by Second baseman Brian Dinkleman, and a single by Center fielder Rene Tosoni. McAllister promptly struck out First Baseman Whit Robbins and Designated Hitter Erik Lis for the first and second outs of the inning. But, Right fielder Juan Portes followed with a two-run single to give the Rock Cats a 2-0 lead. Portes had five RBI in the series. New Britain increased the lead to 3-0 in the second inning on a bases loaded walk to Center fielder Rene Tosoni.
Trenton (40-42) plated its lone run of the night in the fifth inning. With two outs, and runners at the corners, Second baseman Reegie Corona connected on an RBI single to score Right fielder Edwar Gonzalez. Trenton had only one run in the final two games of the series. Trenton First baseman Jorge Vazquez had two hits in the loss.
McAllister went six innings and scattered four hits and three runs (two earned). He struck out six and walked three. McAllister retired 14 of the final 15 batters that he faced. Trenton's bullpen combined to toss three shutout innings, and now has given up only two earned runs in its last 19 innings of work. Pino (3-1) earned the win in his second start of the season for the Rock Cats. He yielded five hits and one run over 5 1/3 innings. He struck out three and walked one. New Britain Reliever Anthony Slama hurled a 1-2-3 inning to pick up his 17th save of the season.
Trenton starts a three-game series against the New Hampshire Fisher Cats (Double-A affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays) on Tuesday night. RHP Kanekoa Texeira (6-4, 3.25) will start for Trenton against New Hampshire LHP Luis Perez (5-6, 3.28). Game time is set for 7:05 p.m. To hear the radio highlights of today's game, check out the Thunder Cast at http://thunderpodcast.wordpress.com/
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 6, 2009
- Curve Offense Explodes in Routs - Bowie Baysox
- Aeros Close Out Road Trip with 8-2 Loss - Akron RubberDucks
- Curve Power Past Baysox 12-3 - Altoona Curve
- New Britain Picks Up 3-1 Win Over Trenton On Monday Night - Trenton Thunder
- Garcia's Streak Alive, Erie Takes Game and Series - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Stephens on DL - Trenton Thunder
- Aerodynamics - Akron RubberDucks
- Sea Dogs Fall to New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Defenders Win Nail Biter 4-3 Over R-Phils - Connecticut Defenders
- Kervin's single lifts Fisher Cats over Sea Dogs, 6-5 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rock Cats Prepped For 7th Homestand Of 2009 - New Britain Rock Cats
- It's So Bad, We Couldn't Even Come Up With A Name For It - Altoona Curve
- Eastern League Announces Weekly Award Winners - EL
- Face Your Fears This Friday - Bowie Baysox
- Van Pelt Bobbles Into Bowie - Bowie Baysox
- Red Sox SS Jed Lowrie Playing in Manchester Today at Noon - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Jed Lowrie to Rehab with the Sea Dogs - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- Bobblehead Giveaways Set for 2020 Season at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Thunder Set 2020 Fireworks Schedule at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Lydia Rios Nominated for Rawlings Woman Executive of the Year Award
- River Fest Features New Food and Drink Items; Pork Roll Eating Championship Competitors Revealed
- Thunder Beat Bowie to Win League Title