Eastern League Announces Weekly Award Winners
July 6, 2009 - Eastern League (EL) News Release
PORTLAND, ME - The Eastern League is pleased to announce the winners of the Eastern League Player of the Week Award and Eastern League Pitcher of the Week Award for the week ending July 5th:
Connecticut Defenders first baseman Brett Pill has been named the Eastern League Player of the Week for the week ending July 5th. The 6'4", 211 lb. slugger had an outstanding week for the Defenders, hitting .393 (11-for-28) with four doubles, one triple, one home run, seven RBI, five runs scored and a .714 slugging percentage in seven games. The 24-year old had five multiple hit games during the week and drove in multiple runs in three games, including going 2-for-4 with one double and three RBI in a 12-5 win at Reading on Sunday afternoon. That performance extended Brett's road hitting streak to 13 games, which is tied for the second longest streak in the league this season. The San Dimas, California native has been one of the top hitters in the league this season and currently leads the league in doubles (28). He is also currently ranked among the league leaders in RBI (57-3rd), hits (95-3rd), total bases (152-4th), batting average (.317-7th) and slugging percentage (.507-9th). Brett, who hit .368 with five home runs and 19 RBI in 26 games during the month of July, was selected by the San Francisco Giants in the seventh round of the 2006 draft after hitting .328 with 23 doubles, 52 runs scored and 40 RBI as a junior at Cal State Fullerton University.
Brett Pill's Batting Line for the week ending July 5, 2009
G AVG AB H 2B 3B HR RBI R SB BB SLG 7 .393 28 11 4 1 1 7 5 0 0 .714
Brett Pill's Batting Line for the 2009 Season
G AVG AB H 2B 3B HR RBI R SB BB SLG 79 .317 300 95 28 1 9 57 42 4 17 .507
Dylan Owen, a right-handed starting pitcher for the Binghamton Mets, is the Eastern League Pitcher of the Week for the week ending July 5th. The 5'11", 185 lb. hurler made a pair of starts for the B-Mets last week and posted a record of 1-0 with eight strikeouts and a 0.00 ERA in 13.2 innings pitched. Owen made his first appearance of the week on Monday night at Canal Park and pitched 7.2 shutout innings while earning a no-decision in Binghamton's 1-0, 10 inning win over Akron. He struck out seven batters and walked just one while giving up four hits. The 22-year old also did not allow a run in his second start of the week on Saturday night at NYSEG Stadium, tossing six shutout innings in a 4-0 victory over Erie. The Chesterfield, South Carolina native struck out one batter while surrendering one walk and five hits to earn his first win of the season for the B-Mets. Dylan, who was named the 2008 Florida State League Most Valuable Pitcher after going 12-6 with 116 strikeouts and a 3.43 ERA in 24 starts for the St. Lucie Mets last season, was selected by the New York Mets in the 20th round of the 2007 draft out after posting a record of 10-1 with one save and a 1.14 ERA during his junior season at Francis Marion University.
Dylan Owen's Pitching Line for the week ending July 5, 2009
G W L SV IP H R ER K BB ERA 2 1 0 0 13.2 9 0 0 8 3 0.00
Dylan Owen's Pitching Line for the 2009 Season
G W L SV IP H R ER K BB ERA 13 1 5 0 69.0 80 47 42 39 34 5.48
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 6, 2009
- Curve Offense Explodes in Routs - Bowie Baysox
- Aeros Close Out Road Trip with 8-2 Loss - Akron RubberDucks
- Curve Power Past Baysox 12-3 - Altoona Curve
- New Britain Picks Up 3-1 Win Over Trenton On Monday Night - Trenton Thunder
- Garcia's Streak Alive, Erie Takes Game and Series - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Stephens on DL - Trenton Thunder
- Aerodynamics - Akron RubberDucks
- Sea Dogs Fall to New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Defenders Win Nail Biter 4-3 Over R-Phils - Connecticut Defenders
- Kervin's single lifts Fisher Cats over Sea Dogs, 6-5 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rock Cats Prepped For 7th Homestand Of 2009 - New Britain Rock Cats
- It's So Bad, We Couldn't Even Come Up With A Name For It - Altoona Curve
- Eastern League Announces Weekly Award Winners - EL
- Face Your Fears This Friday - Bowie Baysox
- Van Pelt Bobbles Into Bowie - Bowie Baysox
- Red Sox SS Jed Lowrie Playing in Manchester Today at Noon - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Jed Lowrie to Rehab with the Sea Dogs - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.