Santa Forgot the Outs
MIDLAND, Mich. - Thursday night's game started so well. The Great Lakes Loons, coming off a historic win for the Camels the previous night to keep their perfect 8-0 record in tact, scored four runs in the top of the 1st inning. There was a festive feeling in the air with a near sellout crowd of 5,019 filling the stands. And then by the 6th inning, the Clinton LumberKings had a 10-4 lead.
It didn't stop there as our visitors from the West pushed across a season-high in runs on a season-high number of hits for an opponent of the Loons to prevail 16-7 at Dow Diamond. Their 17 hits were two better than the 15-hit performance the Peoria Chiefs put forth on Sunday.
Both teams combined for 24 hits, 23 runs, 19 runners left on base, 16 walks, 16 strikeouts, 8 extra-base hits, 4 home runs, and a partridge in a pear tree on what was Christmas in July Night at the ballpark.
The Loons were only able to manage seven hits as a group with Luke Heyer launching a no-doubt three-run shot as one of them in the 1st inning. His long ball traveled 400 feet out to left field for his 11th home run of the season.
It was a night to forget for the pitching staff on a hot and humid night with the temperatures at first pitch near 90 degrees. They did, however, combine to record 10 strikeouts.
Four different LumberKings had three-hit nights while Will Banfield, a former 1st round pick by the Miami Marlins, clobbered a grand slam for his 9th home run of the season.
Thurs: Christmas in July
Fri: Latino Night w/ FIREWORKS
Sat: 9 Innings of Winning w/ Zooperstars! and FIREWORKS
Sun: Inclusion Day
Mon: Skip Work Day
July 30: Bark in the Park
July 31: Loons BINGO Night
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 18, 2019
- Roederer's Two Homers Not Enough as Wisconsin Tops South Bend 5-4 - South Bend Cubs
- 5-Run Inning Not Enough as Beloit falls to West Michigan - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Score 11 Runs Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Banfield's Grand Slam Leads to Rout of Loons - Clinton LumberKings
- Wisconsin Rallies Late for Second Win in a Row - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Two-Out Rallies Overwhelm River Bandits in Thursday Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Santa Forgot the Outs - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Fall 6-0 in Thursday Loss to Cougars - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Red-Hot Siani Leads Dragons to 8-5 Road Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Ride Deuces to Series Win - Kane County Cougars
- Conine Powers Early Offense in 5-4 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugnuts Starter Watson Promoted - Lansing Lugnuts
- Kernels Rally for 5-4 Win Thursday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 18 vs. Peoria (Game 94) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Steer Steals Home for 5-4 Kernels Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kernels' Seventh Spoils Lingos' Gem - Lake County Captains
- Clinton Battles for First in Three-game Stand - Clinton LumberKings
- Mike Ryan from "Le Batard Show" Coming to TinCaps Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Thursdsay - Dayton Dragons
- Ted Ginn Jr. Added to Cleveland Sports History Night Lineup - Lake County Captains
- Meadows Leads Charge in 8-5 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hot Rods Fall in 6-5 Walk-Off Loss to Cougars on Wednesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snappers late comeback attempt falls short 8-5 against Whitecaps - Beloit Snappers
- Aiello Homers Again in Lugs' 3-2 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dennis and Salazar Each Drive in Three as Bandits Down Dragons - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cubs Drop Series Opener at Wisconsin 6-1 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.