Rush Fall to Mallards
(RAPID CITY, SD) - Kale Kerbashian recorded his 20th goal of the season, and Danny Battochio made 26 saves, but the Rapid City Rush fell to the Quad City Mallards in a tight battle, losing 2-1 by virtue of a shootout.
Three meetings in a row, the Mallards opened the scoring entries. At 16:13 of the first period, the Mallards forced a turnover deep in the Rush zone behind the net, resulting in a Nick Grasso goal. Grasso's sixth goal of the season gave the Mallards a 1-0 lead that they would carry into the second frame of action.
The Rush came back in the second period, and in a back-and-forth frame found a way to tie things up heading into the last 20 minutes. With 1:31 left in the second period, Kale Kerbashian took the puck around the net and rotated up to the high slot of the Mallards zone. With traffic in front of Mallards goaltender Evan Mosher, Kerbashian rifled a wrist shot under the bar to even the game at 1-1.
20 more minutes of regulation would not be enough to decide a victor, especially with the Mallards receiving a power play for the last minute of regulation. The Rush penalty kill stood tall, killing off the entirety of the power play into overtime, eventually forcing a shootout. The Rush had yet to defeat the Mallards this season in a shootout, and unfortunately for the home side, that statistic would be perpetuated. Despite Mathieu Brisebois scoring for the Rush in the third round to answer Mario Lamoureux's opening round attempt, Kevin Baker and Nick Grasso would score in the fourth and fifth rounds to secure the second point in a 2-1 shootout win.
Danny Battochio falls in post-regulation play for just the third time this season, making 26 saves in the shootout loss (25-17-3). The Rush season-high winning streak of 8 games ended tonight, but now turns into a streak of 9 games in which the Rush have successfully recorded a point.
The Rush finish out their home schedule in a rematch with the Mallards tomorrow night, with Scott Wray's Jersey Retirement Ceremony taking place prior to puck drop.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 3, 2015
- Eagles Soar over Steelheads, 4-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Grizzlies Beat Alaska 4-1; Home Finale Saturday - Utah Grizzlies
- Lagace Returns, Stops 39, and Condors Win 3-2 in Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Penalty Troubles Wrangles in Beast - Brampton Beast
- Rush Valiant In Tight Battle, Fall In Shootout To Mallards - Rapid City Rush
- Late Strike Sinks Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Survive Mavericks' Surge in 6-4 Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Royals Edge 'Blades in the Third Period - Florida Everblades
- Missouri Topped 6-4 by Tulsa Mavericks Second Period Rally Not Enough to Outdo Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
- Americans Explode for 8 Goals in An 8-1 Win over Brampton - Allen Americans
- Rush Fall to Mallards - Rapid City Rush
- Jackals Fall in Fort Wayne, 4-1 - Elmira Jackals
- Mallards Edge Rush in Shootout, Close in on Playoff Berth - Quad City Mallards
- IceMen Hammer Nailers in Dominating 6-1 Win - Evansville IceMen
- IceMen Leave Nailers with Cold Result - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye clip K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- 'Clones Outlast Fuel 4-2 - Indy Fuel
- Warriors Hold on for 4-3 Victory over Gwinnett - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cajkovsky Provides Overtime Heroics for Stingrays in Triumph over Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Go Perfect for Germain Arena with 5-3 Win over Florida - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Scorch Fuel, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators Comeback Falls Short, 4-3 - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - April 3 - ECHL
- Mavericks Sign Derik Johnson - Kansas City Mavericks
- Countdown to Face-Off: Kalamazoo Wings vs Toledo Walleye - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavericks Announce Date for End of Season Event - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Preview: Tulsa Oilers vs. Missouri Mavericks - Tonight at 7:35 p.m. - Tulsa Oilers
- Brendan Connolly Named CCM ECHL Player of the Month - Alaska Aces
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign vs. Bakersfield Condors - Ontario Reign
- Former Thunder Goalie Bunz Makes NHL Debut - Stockton Thunder
- Tyler Bunz Becomes 12th Condor to Make NHL Debut - Bakersfield Condors
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Bunz Makes Thunder History in NHL Debut - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers vs. IceMen Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Jackals and Komets Clash for Final Time this Season - Elmira Jackals
- Gladiators Game Preview - Gladiators at Road Warriors - Atlanta Gladiators
- The Royal Road Ahead: Reading Royals at Florida Everblades - Reading Royals
- ECHL Today - April 3 - ECHL
- Fullerton, Jackals Halt Three-Game Winning Streak - Wheeling Nailers
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays and Solar Bears Close Regular-Season Series Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.