Cajkovsky Provides Overtime Heroics for Stingrays in Triumph over Solar Bears
Orlando, FL - Defenseman Michal Cajkovsky scored the game-winning goal 25 second into overtime to launch the South Carolina Stingrays (44-19-1-6) over the Orlando Solar Bears (35-23-6-4) 3-2 at the Amway Center Friday night. The win set a new single-season career high for Head Coach Spencer Carbery and the Stingrays finished the regular-season series against the Solar Bears with a 7-2-1-1 record.
The Solar Bears broke open the scoring on the power play 8:16 into the first period when defenseman Eric Baier fired a shot from the left-wing point through traffic and between the legs of Stingrays netminder Keegan Asmundson (W, 21 saves on 23 shots). The Stingrays responded moments later as forward Rob Bellamy battled for a loose puck in the right-wing corner and found forward Patrick Gaul and the bottom of the faceoff circle to snap a shot under the blocker of Solar Bears goalie Maxime Clermont (OTL, 33 saves on 36 shots) at 11:44. Forward Tim Spencer added the second assist.
Forward Derek DeBlois gave the Stingrays the lead 41 seconds into the middle stanza redirecting a shot from defenseman Jason Binkley past the glove of Clermont from the right point. Forward Andrew Rowe picked up the second assist. Orlando's Peter Sivak made it 2-2 at 10:25 knocking a rebound past Asmundson.
The Stingrays rifled 17 shots in the third period, but for the second straight contest, the two sides would head to overtime. Shortly after the faceoff, Cajkovsky caught a pass from forward Caleb Herbert and blasted in the game-winning tally 25 seconds into the extra session. The Stingrays finished the contest 0-for-3 on the power play while the Solar Bears went 1-for-4.
The Stingrays wrap up a season-long seven game road trip tomorrow, Saturday, April 4 at 7:00 against the Florida Everblades at Germain Arena in Estero, Florida.
The Stingrays close the regular-season schedule on Saturday, April 11 against the Evansville IceMen at 7:05 at the North Charleston Coliseum on Fan Appreciation Night and The Post and Courier Hall of Fame Night. The first 1,000 fans receive a 2014-15 Stingrays team photo courtesy of Sheila Lauffer of Data Imaging and a new member of the Stingrays Hall of Fame will be inducted during the first intermission. Saturday also features FREE parking!
Grab 10 tickets with BEST AVAILABLE seating for $100 with NO FEES at StingraysHockey.com!
2015 Kelly Cup Playoff Pay for Play plans are ON SALE NOW! Grab the best seats at the best price with NO TICKET FEES! You don't pay unless we play!
Images from this story
South Carolina Stingrays vs. Orlando Solar Bears
(F. Medina and G. Bassing/Orlando Solar Bears)
Orlando Solar Bears in Patriotic Jerseys
(F. Medina and G. Bassing/Orlando Solar Bears)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 3, 2015
- Eagles Soar over Steelheads, 4-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Grizzlies Beat Alaska 4-1; Home Finale Saturday - Utah Grizzlies
- Lagace Returns, Stops 39, and Condors Win 3-2 in Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Penalty Troubles Wrangles in Beast - Brampton Beast
- Rush Valiant In Tight Battle, Fall In Shootout To Mallards - Rapid City Rush
- Late Strike Sinks Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Survive Mavericks' Surge in 6-4 Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Royals Edge 'Blades in the Third Period - Florida Everblades
- Missouri Topped 6-4 by Tulsa Mavericks Second Period Rally Not Enough to Outdo Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
- Americans Explode for 8 Goals in An 8-1 Win over Brampton - Allen Americans
- Rush Fall to Mallards - Rapid City Rush
- Jackals Fall in Fort Wayne, 4-1 - Elmira Jackals
- Mallards Edge Rush in Shootout, Close in on Playoff Berth - Quad City Mallards
- IceMen Hammer Nailers in Dominating 6-1 Win - Evansville IceMen
- IceMen Leave Nailers with Cold Result - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye clip K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- 'Clones Outlast Fuel 4-2 - Indy Fuel
- Warriors Hold on for 4-3 Victory over Gwinnett - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cajkovsky Provides Overtime Heroics for Stingrays in Triumph over Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Go Perfect for Germain Arena with 5-3 Win over Florida - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Scorch Fuel, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators Comeback Falls Short, 4-3 - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - April 3 - ECHL
- Mavericks Sign Derik Johnson - Kansas City Mavericks
- Countdown to Face-Off: Kalamazoo Wings vs Toledo Walleye - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavericks Announce Date for End of Season Event - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Preview: Tulsa Oilers vs. Missouri Mavericks - Tonight at 7:35 p.m. - Tulsa Oilers
- Brendan Connolly Named CCM ECHL Player of the Month - Alaska Aces
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign vs. Bakersfield Condors - Ontario Reign
- Former Thunder Goalie Bunz Makes NHL Debut - Stockton Thunder
- Tyler Bunz Becomes 12th Condor to Make NHL Debut - Bakersfield Condors
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Bunz Makes Thunder History in NHL Debut - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers vs. IceMen Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Jackals and Komets Clash for Final Time this Season - Elmira Jackals
- Gladiators Game Preview - Gladiators at Road Warriors - Atlanta Gladiators
- The Royal Road Ahead: Reading Royals at Florida Everblades - Reading Royals
- ECHL Today - April 3 - ECHL
- Fullerton, Jackals Halt Three-Game Winning Streak - Wheeling Nailers
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays and Solar Bears Close Regular-Season Series Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.