Royals Go Perfect for Germain Arena with 5-3 Win over Florida
Estero, FL - The Reading Royals (win, 44-18-4-294) of the ECHL, affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers of the National Hockey League and the Lehigh Valley Phantoms of the American Hockey League, defeated the Florida Everblades (loss, 46-15-2-599), 5-3, at Germain Arena in Estero, Florida
In the sixth and final game of the regular season between the Royals and Everblades, Reading held three different two goal leads-and made the third one stand up for the fifth win of the year over Florida (5-1-0-0). As with Reading's win on Wednesday, the Royals got a third period tie breaking game winner in this one-this time from Pat Mullane-to win the team's team-record twenty-fourth road game of the season. Reading's power play came alive and factored in three of the five goals for the team.
Reading struck for a pair in the first. The opening goal of the game came just as a bench minor called against the Royals expired and Reading simultaneously went on the power play. Brandon Alderson sprang David Marshall into the offensive end. Marshall carried deep into the right circle and ripped a bullet over the blocker of Florida goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic for Marshall's twenty-third of the season 6:17 into the first.
Reading took a 2-0 lead 10:27 into the first when Ryan Cruthers made a power move out of the left circle and crashed into Nedeljkovic, forcing the puck over the goal line for Cruthers' fifteenth of the year.
Florida struck early in the second on a two-on-one transition rush with Steven Whitney finishing on a feed from Nicolas Deschamps, who had blown by a Reading defender down the left side, for his second of the year 1:45 in.
Reading re-took the two-goal lead with a power play goal by Justin Crandall. Michael Caruso made a great play at left point to keep the play alive. His behind the back pass found Brett Flemming at the right point. Flemming's diagonal down slap pass hit the blade of the stick of Crandall at the right side of the cage for the re-direct home 14:14 into the period.
Florida bounced back thirty-three seconds later on a blast from the left point by Deschamps. The 'Blades followed that up by throwing a puck from deep on the left side into a pile of bodies in and around the Royals net. The puck pinballed at the top of the crease, hit Ray Kaunisto and fluttered over goaltender Connor Knapp at the 16:40 mark to tie the game at three.
For the second consecutive game against the Everblades, the Royals got a third-period tie breaking game winner, this one from Pat Mullane, who snpied a snapper out of the left circle off a brilliant pass from the left corner from Hughesman. Mullane's shot hit something on the way in and eluded the catching glove of Nedeljkovic for Mullane's twenty-third of the season 6:38 into the third. Reading got some insurance on an end-to-end highlight reel rush by Maxim Lamarche, who bagged his eighth of the year 14:16 into the final frame for the third power play goal of the night for the Royals, which served to regain the two goal advantage.
NEXT UP FOR THE ROYALS
Reading Royals @ Orlando Solar Bears
@ Amway Center - Orlando, FL
Saturday, April 4, 2015 (7:00 pm Eastern Time)
NEXT UP: The Royals complete the team's three-game swing through Florida tomorrow (Saturday, April 4 @ 7:00 pm) at Amway Center in Orlando, Florida, where Reading will take on the Orlando Solar Bears for the first and only time this season. As with all Royals' road games this season, Saturday's game will be televised live locally in Berks County, Pennsylvania, on BCTV courtesy of Boscov's Travel and Apple Vacations. The game night broadcast for Saturday's matchup can be heard live on CBS SportsRadio 1240 am and 98.5 in Reading, Pennsylvania, starting with the pre-game warm-up show presented by Highmark Blue Shield at 7:00 pm Eastern Time. Streaming audio is available free of charge on the Royals' website (follow the 'headset' icon); and streaming video is available on a pay-per-view basis through ECHL.TV.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 3, 2015
- Eagles Soar over Steelheads, 4-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Grizzlies Beat Alaska 4-1; Home Finale Saturday - Utah Grizzlies
- Lagace Returns, Stops 39, and Condors Win 3-2 in Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Penalty Troubles Wrangles in Beast - Brampton Beast
- Rush Valiant In Tight Battle, Fall In Shootout To Mallards - Rapid City Rush
- Late Strike Sinks Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Survive Mavericks' Surge in 6-4 Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Royals Edge 'Blades in the Third Period - Florida Everblades
- Missouri Topped 6-4 by Tulsa Mavericks Second Period Rally Not Enough to Outdo Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
- Americans Explode for 8 Goals in An 8-1 Win over Brampton - Allen Americans
- Rush Fall to Mallards - Rapid City Rush
- Jackals Fall in Fort Wayne, 4-1 - Elmira Jackals
- Mallards Edge Rush in Shootout, Close in on Playoff Berth - Quad City Mallards
- IceMen Hammer Nailers in Dominating 6-1 Win - Evansville IceMen
- IceMen Leave Nailers with Cold Result - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye clip K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- 'Clones Outlast Fuel 4-2 - Indy Fuel
- Warriors Hold on for 4-3 Victory over Gwinnett - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cajkovsky Provides Overtime Heroics for Stingrays in Triumph over Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Go Perfect for Germain Arena with 5-3 Win over Florida - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Scorch Fuel, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators Comeback Falls Short, 4-3 - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - April 3 - ECHL
- Mavericks Sign Derik Johnson - Kansas City Mavericks
- Countdown to Face-Off: Kalamazoo Wings vs Toledo Walleye - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavericks Announce Date for End of Season Event - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Preview: Tulsa Oilers vs. Missouri Mavericks - Tonight at 7:35 p.m. - Tulsa Oilers
- Brendan Connolly Named CCM ECHL Player of the Month - Alaska Aces
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign vs. Bakersfield Condors - Ontario Reign
- Former Thunder Goalie Bunz Makes NHL Debut - Stockton Thunder
- Tyler Bunz Becomes 12th Condor to Make NHL Debut - Bakersfield Condors
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Bunz Makes Thunder History in NHL Debut - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers vs. IceMen Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Jackals and Komets Clash for Final Time this Season - Elmira Jackals
- Gladiators Game Preview - Gladiators at Road Warriors - Atlanta Gladiators
- The Royal Road Ahead: Reading Royals at Florida Everblades - Reading Royals
- ECHL Today - April 3 - ECHL
- Fullerton, Jackals Halt Three-Game Winning Streak - Wheeling Nailers
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays and Solar Bears Close Regular-Season Series Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.