Royals Edge 'Blades in the Third Period
ESTER, FL - The Reading Royals scored twice in the third period to pull away to a 5-3 victory over the Florida Everblades in front of an announced crowd of 6,194 at Germain Arena Friday night. The Everblades (46-15-2-5. 99 points) still hold the top spot in the East Division.
Reading grabbed a quick 2-0 advantage in the game's first ten minutes. David Marshall scored on the power play at 6:17 on a wrister from the right wing circle that beat Florida goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic.
Five minutes later, Ryan Cruthers crashed the net and was able to stuff the puck through Nedeljkovic's five-hole to give the Royals a 2-0 lead after the first 20 minutes.
Florida got on the board just 1:45 into the second, when Nicolas Deschamps led a 2-on-1 chance into the zone and passed the puck across the ice to Steven Whitney. Whitney perfectly placed the puck into the back of the net behind Reading netminder Connor Knapp for the tally.
The Royals reclaimed a two-goal edge later in the period on the power play. Brett Flemming delivered a slap pass from the point to the crease to Justin Crandall who finished off the set up with his first marker of the season.
Deschamps factored again at 12:47 of the middle frame when he blistered a slapshot past Knapp from the left wing circle to put the score at 3-2.
The 'Blades netted the equalizer just two minutes later, when Gabriel Desjardins swung the puck to the front of the net. The puck bounced in the air and hit off the body of Ray Kaunisto in front, and then banked into the Reading net for the goal. The game remained tied at 3-3 heading into the third period.
Reading seized control of the game in the third. Pat Mullane buried a goal at 6:38 of the period, while Maxim Lamarche capped off the game on a dazzling coast-to-coast goal in which he finished off with a wrister high into the net to secure the 5-3 victory.
Nedeljkovic who was assigned to the Everblades prior to the game from the Carolina Hurricanes (NHL), takes the loss in his pro debut allowing five goals on 24 shots. Knapp earns the win allowing three goals on 29 shots
The Everblades close out the weekend on Saturday at Germain Arena against the South Carolina Stingrays. Game time is set for 7:00 p.m.
Upcoming Home Games & Promotions Saturday, April 4 vs. South Carolina, 7:00 p.m. The McDonald's Tailgate Party begins at 5:00 p.m. featuring live music, bounce houses, and face painting for the kids!
Images from this story
Florida Everblades vs. Reading Royals
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 3, 2015
- Eagles Soar over Steelheads, 4-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Grizzlies Beat Alaska 4-1; Home Finale Saturday - Utah Grizzlies
- Lagace Returns, Stops 39, and Condors Win 3-2 in Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Penalty Troubles Wrangles in Beast - Brampton Beast
- Rush Valiant In Tight Battle, Fall In Shootout To Mallards - Rapid City Rush
- Late Strike Sinks Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Survive Mavericks' Surge in 6-4 Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Royals Edge 'Blades in the Third Period - Florida Everblades
- Missouri Topped 6-4 by Tulsa Mavericks Second Period Rally Not Enough to Outdo Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
- Americans Explode for 8 Goals in An 8-1 Win over Brampton - Allen Americans
- Rush Fall to Mallards - Rapid City Rush
- Jackals Fall in Fort Wayne, 4-1 - Elmira Jackals
- Mallards Edge Rush in Shootout, Close in on Playoff Berth - Quad City Mallards
- IceMen Hammer Nailers in Dominating 6-1 Win - Evansville IceMen
- IceMen Leave Nailers with Cold Result - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye clip K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- 'Clones Outlast Fuel 4-2 - Indy Fuel
- Warriors Hold on for 4-3 Victory over Gwinnett - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cajkovsky Provides Overtime Heroics for Stingrays in Triumph over Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Go Perfect for Germain Arena with 5-3 Win over Florida - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Scorch Fuel, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators Comeback Falls Short, 4-3 - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - April 3 - ECHL
- Mavericks Sign Derik Johnson - Kansas City Mavericks
- Countdown to Face-Off: Kalamazoo Wings vs Toledo Walleye - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavericks Announce Date for End of Season Event - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Preview: Tulsa Oilers vs. Missouri Mavericks - Tonight at 7:35 p.m. - Tulsa Oilers
- Brendan Connolly Named CCM ECHL Player of the Month - Alaska Aces
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign vs. Bakersfield Condors - Ontario Reign
- Former Thunder Goalie Bunz Makes NHL Debut - Stockton Thunder
- Tyler Bunz Becomes 12th Condor to Make NHL Debut - Bakersfield Condors
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Bunz Makes Thunder History in NHL Debut - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers vs. IceMen Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Jackals and Komets Clash for Final Time this Season - Elmira Jackals
- Gladiators Game Preview - Gladiators at Road Warriors - Atlanta Gladiators
- The Royal Road Ahead: Reading Royals at Florida Everblades - Reading Royals
- ECHL Today - April 3 - ECHL
- Fullerton, Jackals Halt Three-Game Winning Streak - Wheeling Nailers
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays and Solar Bears Close Regular-Season Series Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Powering Through: Power Play Pushes 'Blades to 4-2 Win
- Flying High: 'Blades Score Six to Knock off K-Wings
- Derek Sheppard Assigned to 'Blades from AHL's Checkers
- 'Blades Weekly: Final Non-Conference Road Trip on Deck
- Everblades, AHL's Admirals Swap Smith, Magwood