Penalty Troubles Wrangles in Beast
ALLEN, TX - The Brampton Beast began the game in penalty trouble, and it became a reoccurring theme through out it. The Beast took 35 minutes of penalties in a gritty affair filled with multiple stoppages, and were unable to contain the Allen American's third ranked power play on their way to a 8-1 loss at the Allen Event Centre.
Jason Dale added his third goal in two games, while Jason Pitton and Bobby Hughes added assists to give them points in back-to-back games. Parker Van Buskirk made 18 saves in the loss that included two fights, multiple scrums and 62 total penalty minutes.
The game started off with a bang when Brett Lyon dropped the gloves right off the opening draw to spark both benches, but sent the Beast to the penalty kill for four minutes. Allen struck quickly, just over 50 seconds into their power play when Konrad Abeltshauser launched a shot that snuck through a crowd in front for a 1-0 Americans lead. Jamie Lewis took a tripping penalty with eight and a half minutes left in the period and the Americans power play went back to work. Gregor Hanson took a back door feed from ECHL points leader Chad Costello to put Allen up 2-0 heading into the second.
The second period had more of the same of the same, as the Americans struck early. Allen set up another back door attempt after creating a mini 2-on-1 in the Beast zone, with Abeltsahauser on the receiving end of a pass for his second goal of the night. Brayden Rose took a kneeing penalty just under seven minutes into the period and the Americans power play went to work again. Costello took a shot from the point that was tipped in front by Spencer Asuchak for a 4-0 Allen lead.
Two and a half minutes later, Abeltshauser completed the hat trick on the power play. The Americans chased Van Buskirk 40 seconds later when Tanner Eberle his second of the year to push the lead to 6-0.
With under a minute remaining in the period, Jason Pitton sprung Bobby Hughes and Jason Dale into the Americans zone on a 2-on-1. Hughes kept the puck and outwaited the goaltender and defenceman before firing the puck cross-crease to Dale, who knocked the puck passed Joel Rumpel to put the Beast on the board heading into the third.
Allen started the third period after Jeff Brown took a goaltender interference penalty at the end of the second, and went to work once again. This time, it was Costello finishing off a passing play for his 40th goal of the year and 7-1 advantage. Hanson added the final dagger at the 15:29 mark of the period to seal the 8-1 victory for the Americans.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 3, 2015
- Eagles Soar over Steelheads, 4-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Grizzlies Beat Alaska 4-1; Home Finale Saturday - Utah Grizzlies
- Lagace Returns, Stops 39, and Condors Win 3-2 in Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Penalty Troubles Wrangles in Beast - Brampton Beast
- Rush Valiant In Tight Battle, Fall In Shootout To Mallards - Rapid City Rush
- Late Strike Sinks Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Survive Mavericks' Surge in 6-4 Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Royals Edge 'Blades in the Third Period - Florida Everblades
- Missouri Topped 6-4 by Tulsa Mavericks Second Period Rally Not Enough to Outdo Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
- Americans Explode for 8 Goals in An 8-1 Win over Brampton - Allen Americans
- Rush Fall to Mallards - Rapid City Rush
- Jackals Fall in Fort Wayne, 4-1 - Elmira Jackals
- Mallards Edge Rush in Shootout, Close in on Playoff Berth - Quad City Mallards
- IceMen Hammer Nailers in Dominating 6-1 Win - Evansville IceMen
- IceMen Leave Nailers with Cold Result - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye clip K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- 'Clones Outlast Fuel 4-2 - Indy Fuel
- Warriors Hold on for 4-3 Victory over Gwinnett - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cajkovsky Provides Overtime Heroics for Stingrays in Triumph over Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Go Perfect for Germain Arena with 5-3 Win over Florida - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Scorch Fuel, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators Comeback Falls Short, 4-3 - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - April 3 - ECHL
- Mavericks Sign Derik Johnson - Kansas City Mavericks
- Countdown to Face-Off: Kalamazoo Wings vs Toledo Walleye - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavericks Announce Date for End of Season Event - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Preview: Tulsa Oilers vs. Missouri Mavericks - Tonight at 7:35 p.m. - Tulsa Oilers
- Brendan Connolly Named CCM ECHL Player of the Month - Alaska Aces
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign vs. Bakersfield Condors - Ontario Reign
- Former Thunder Goalie Bunz Makes NHL Debut - Stockton Thunder
- Tyler Bunz Becomes 12th Condor to Make NHL Debut - Bakersfield Condors
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Bunz Makes Thunder History in NHL Debut - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers vs. IceMen Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Jackals and Komets Clash for Final Time this Season - Elmira Jackals
- Gladiators Game Preview - Gladiators at Road Warriors - Atlanta Gladiators
- The Royal Road Ahead: Reading Royals at Florida Everblades - Reading Royals
- ECHL Today - April 3 - ECHL
- Fullerton, Jackals Halt Three-Game Winning Streak - Wheeling Nailers
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays and Solar Bears Close Regular-Season Series Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.