Jackals Fall in Fort Wayne, 4-1
FORT WAYNE, IN - The Elmira Jackals battled valiantly tonight against the Fort Wayne Komets, but could not overcome the Komets' quick start and fell 4-1. With the Jackals' loss in regulation and the Orlando Solar Bears earning a point tonight, Elmira has been eliminated from playoff contention.
The Komets opened the scoring at 3:15 of the first period with Eric Faille's 25th goal of the season. Faille's marker was assisted by Drew Daniels and Mike Embach. Each team fired seven shots on goal in the opening stanza, but Faille's tally was the lone goal in the period.
In the second frame, the Komets capitalized 3:31 into the period and doubled their lead with James Martin's eighth goal of the season. Martin's marker was assisted by C.J. Severyn and Matt Krug. Just two minutes and one second later Shawn Szydlowski scored his team-leading 38th goal of the season to put Fort Wayne up 3-0. C.J. Severyn and James Martin earned the helpers on Szydlowski's goal. Through 40 minutes of action, there were just two minor penalties called and both of them were against the Komets.
In the third period, the Jackals attempted to mount a comeback and generate offensive opportunities, but the Komets' captain, Kaleigh Schrock, capitalized on a rush down the left wing side and buried a backhand shot over Travis Fullerton's shoulder to increase Fort Wayne's lead to four at 6:09 of the third period. Brett Perlini added the assist on Schrock's fourth goal of the season. One minute later the Jackals got on the scoreboard with Taylor Stefishen's power-play goal. Ryan Rashid and Steven Shamanski assisted Stefishen's 16th goal of the season. Unfortunately, the hole was too deep for the Jackals to climb out of at the end of the night.
Travis Fullerton stopped 16 of 20 shots faced and was handed the loss. Roman Will stopped 21 of 22 shots faced and earned the win. The Jackals went 1-for-4 on the power-play and Fort Wayne went 0-for-2 on the man advantage.
Don't miss a minute of the action with Jackals season tickets! Call (607) 734-7825 or visit jackalshockey.com to order your season tickets today!
Follow the Jackals at www.jackalshockey.com, on Facebook, Twitter (@JackalsHockey) and Instagram for all the latest news and updates.
Group tickets are a great way to entertain employees, co-workers, clients, friends and family. For more information on discounted group tickets and a list of group benefits, call (607) 734-7825 or visit http://www.jackalshockey.com/groups/.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 3, 2015
- Eagles Soar over Steelheads, 4-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Grizzlies Beat Alaska 4-1; Home Finale Saturday - Utah Grizzlies
- Lagace Returns, Stops 39, and Condors Win 3-2 in Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Penalty Troubles Wrangles in Beast - Brampton Beast
- Rush Valiant In Tight Battle, Fall In Shootout To Mallards - Rapid City Rush
- Late Strike Sinks Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Survive Mavericks' Surge in 6-4 Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Royals Edge 'Blades in the Third Period - Florida Everblades
- Missouri Topped 6-4 by Tulsa Mavericks Second Period Rally Not Enough to Outdo Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
- Americans Explode for 8 Goals in An 8-1 Win over Brampton - Allen Americans
- Rush Fall to Mallards - Rapid City Rush
- Jackals Fall in Fort Wayne, 4-1 - Elmira Jackals
- Mallards Edge Rush in Shootout, Close in on Playoff Berth - Quad City Mallards
- IceMen Hammer Nailers in Dominating 6-1 Win - Evansville IceMen
- IceMen Leave Nailers with Cold Result - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye clip K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- 'Clones Outlast Fuel 4-2 - Indy Fuel
- Warriors Hold on for 4-3 Victory over Gwinnett - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cajkovsky Provides Overtime Heroics for Stingrays in Triumph over Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Go Perfect for Germain Arena with 5-3 Win over Florida - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Scorch Fuel, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators Comeback Falls Short, 4-3 - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - April 3 - ECHL
- Mavericks Sign Derik Johnson - Kansas City Mavericks
- Countdown to Face-Off: Kalamazoo Wings vs Toledo Walleye - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavericks Announce Date for End of Season Event - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Preview: Tulsa Oilers vs. Missouri Mavericks - Tonight at 7:35 p.m. - Tulsa Oilers
- Brendan Connolly Named CCM ECHL Player of the Month - Alaska Aces
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign vs. Bakersfield Condors - Ontario Reign
- Former Thunder Goalie Bunz Makes NHL Debut - Stockton Thunder
- Tyler Bunz Becomes 12th Condor to Make NHL Debut - Bakersfield Condors
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Bunz Makes Thunder History in NHL Debut - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers vs. IceMen Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Jackals and Komets Clash for Final Time this Season - Elmira Jackals
- Gladiators Game Preview - Gladiators at Road Warriors - Atlanta Gladiators
- The Royal Road Ahead: Reading Royals at Florida Everblades - Reading Royals
- ECHL Today - April 3 - ECHL
- Fullerton, Jackals Halt Three-Game Winning Streak - Wheeling Nailers
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays and Solar Bears Close Regular-Season Series Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.