Royals Prospects to Play in 2019 WHL Cup
Victoria, BC - The Victoria Royals are proud to announce that prospects Jason Spizawka (Team BC), Kalem Parker (Team Saskatchewan), Carter Dereniwsky (Team Saskatchewan), Tanner Scott (Team Alberta), Brayden Schuurman (Team BC) and Carter Briltz (Team Saskatchewan) will represent their respective provinces at the 2019 WHL Cup.
The tournament will take place from Wednesday, October 23rd through Sunday, October 27th at the Markin MacPhail Centre in Calgary, AB. The WHL Cup is a round robin format and consists of the four provincial under-16 teams from BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
A native of Victoria, BC, Spizawka was the Royals first round pick, 19th overall, in the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft.
The 5-10, 160 lb defenceman is currently playing for the South Island Royals of the BC Major Midget Hockey League (BCMML). In four games with South Island, Spizawka has recorded two points (1g-1a) and four penalty minutes. The 2004-born blueliner has also skated in one contest for the Saanich Braves Jr. B team of the Vancouver Island Junior Hockey League (VIJHL).
Parker, a 5-9, 150 lb defenceman was selected in the second round, 32nd overall by the Royals in the WHL Bantam Draft this past May.
The product of Clavet, SK is skating for the Saskatoon Blazers of the Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League (SMHL). Parker has registered two minutes in penalties in five games for the Blazers.
The native of Canora, SK was drafted by the Royals in the second round, 39th overall in the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft.
Dereniwsky is currently playing for the Yorkton Maulers of the SMHL. The 5-9, 150 lb forward has skated in one contest for his team this season.
The 5-9, 146 lb Scott was selected by Victoria in the third round, 48th overall in the WHL Bantam Draft this past May.
Scott, a Sherwood Park, AB product is a member of the Sherwood Park Kings Midget AAA team of the Alberta Midget Hockey League (AMHL). He currently leads the Kings in goals with two in as many games.
The Royals drafted Schuurman, an Abbotsford, BC native, in the fourth round, 69th overall, at the WHL Bantam Draft this past May.
The 5-9, 174 lb forward is in his first season with the Yale Hockey Academy Midget Prep team of the Canadian Sport School Hockey League (CSSHL). Schuurman has played in five games for Yale and is the team's leader in points (8), goals (4) and assists (4).
At the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft, Victoria selected the 5-11, 181 lb Briltz in the fifth round, 102nd overall.
The 2004-born forward has recorded one assist and two penalty minutes in seven games with the SMHL's Tisdale Trojans.
The Royals are back in action tonight when they host the Everett Silvertips at 7:05 p.m. at Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre. Tickets can be purchased in person at the Select Your Tickets box office, over the phone by calling 250-220-7777, or online at www.selectyourtickets.com.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 9, 2019
- Six Rebels Prospects Named to WHL Cup Rosters - Red Deer Rebels
- Royals Prospects to Play in 2019 WHL Cup - Victoria Royals
- Four Prospects Named to WHL Cup Rosters - Prince George Cougars
- Calgary Hitmen Rise to Fifth in Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings - WHL
- Kovacevic to play for Team BC at the 2019 WHL Cup - Kelowna Rockets
- Game Day Hub: October 9 - Portland Winterhawks
- Six Broncos Draft Picks to Play at WHL Cup - Swift Current Broncos
- Wheat Kings Deal Wytinck to Pats - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Pats Acquire Overage Defenceman Zach Wytinck from Wheat Kings - Regina Pats
- Cougars, Prince George Community Foundation Team up for Mega 50/50 Jackpot - Prince George Cougars
- Chyzowski and Streek to Represent Team British Columbia at WHL Cup - Portland Winterhawks
- Seven Prospects Named to 2019 WHL Cup Rosters - Kamloops Blazers
- Five Blades Prospects Headed to 2019 WHL Cup - Saskatoon Blades
- Three Oil Kings Prospects Named to Rosters for 2019 WHL Cup - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Collora Signs with Hurricanes - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- WHL Announces Rosters for 2019 WHL Cup - WHL
- Smith Named to Vaughn CHL Team of the Week - Spokane Chiefs
- Calling on Fans to Bring Food Donations Friday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Preview: Broncos Host Winterhawks to IPlex in Lone Meeting of the Season - Swift Current Broncos
- Game Preview: Saskatoon Continues Quest for First Home Victory on Winning Wednesday - Saskatoon Blades
- Raiders Double up Giants in WHL Championship Rematch - Prince Albert Raiders
- Giants Drop a 4-2 Decision Tuesday Night in Prince Albert - Vancouver Giants
- Tigers Take Down Winterhawks 4-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Five Unanswered Goals Give Oil Kings Comeback Win over Pats - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Five Unanswered Doom Pats - Regina Pats
- Isaiah DiLaura Impresses in His Winterhawks Debut - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.