Four Prospects Named to WHL Cup Rosters
PRINCE GEORGE, BC- The Prince George Cougars are proud to announce four prospects will play at the Western Hockey League (WHL) Cup this year. The WHL Cup takes place from October 23rd-27th in Calgary, AB.
The Cougars' first four selections from the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft will suit up for their provinces later this month.
Both of the Cougars' signed first-round picks from the 2019 draft class will play for Team Alberta in defenceman Keaton Dowhaniuk and forward Koehn Ziemmer. Dowhaniuk was drafted third overall and Ziemmer was taken one spot later. Second-round pick (36th overall) Jaren Brinson will also play for Team Alberta as he joins Dowhaniuk on the blue-line. Team Alberta were silver medalists in 2017.
Dowhaniuk plays for OHA Edmonton's Midget Prep team in the Canadian Sport School Hockey League (CSSHL) and Brinson plays on the Edge School's Midget Prep squad in the CSSHL. Ziemmer is currently playing with the St. Albert Raiders in the Alberta Major Midget Hockey League.
Signed second-round pick Kyren Gronick is on Team Saskatchewan's roster. The Regina product was taken 26th overall by the Cougars in the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft. Gronick is playing with the Regina Pat Canadians in the Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League.
The WHL Cup features the highest-rated players in the under-16 age category from the provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba and Saskatchewan. The tournament will be a four-team round-robin format and is the first step in Hockey Canada's Program of Excellence for players. Team B.C. is the defending champions, winning in 2017. The event wasn't contested in 2018 due to the Canada Winter Games.
Family Packs are on-sale. Get four tickets, four regular fountain pops, and a large family popcorn valued at $97 for just $60! Get your Family Pack at the TicketsNorth by Treasure Cove box office at the CN Centre, or go online to https://www.ticketsnorth.ca.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 9, 2019
- Six Rebels Prospects Named to WHL Cup Rosters - Red Deer Rebels
- Royals Prospects to Play in 2019 WHL Cup - Victoria Royals
- Four Prospects Named to WHL Cup Rosters - Prince George Cougars
- Calgary Hitmen Rise to Fifth in Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings - WHL
- Kovacevic to play for Team BC at the 2019 WHL Cup - Kelowna Rockets
- Game Day Hub: October 9 - Portland Winterhawks
- Six Broncos Draft Picks to Play at WHL Cup - Swift Current Broncos
- Wheat Kings Deal Wytinck to Pats - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Pats Acquire Overage Defenceman Zach Wytinck from Wheat Kings - Regina Pats
- Cougars, Prince George Community Foundation Team up for Mega 50/50 Jackpot - Prince George Cougars
- Chyzowski and Streek to Represent Team British Columbia at WHL Cup - Portland Winterhawks
- Seven Prospects Named to 2019 WHL Cup Rosters - Kamloops Blazers
- Five Blades Prospects Headed to 2019 WHL Cup - Saskatoon Blades
- Three Oil Kings Prospects Named to Rosters for 2019 WHL Cup - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Collora Signs with Hurricanes - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- WHL Announces Rosters for 2019 WHL Cup - WHL
- Smith Named to Vaughn CHL Team of the Week - Spokane Chiefs
- Calling on Fans to Bring Food Donations Friday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Preview: Broncos Host Winterhawks to IPlex in Lone Meeting of the Season - Swift Current Broncos
- Game Preview: Saskatoon Continues Quest for First Home Victory on Winning Wednesday - Saskatoon Blades
- Raiders Double up Giants in WHL Championship Rematch - Prince Albert Raiders
- Giants Drop a 4-2 Decision Tuesday Night in Prince Albert - Vancouver Giants
- Tigers Take Down Winterhawks 4-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Five Unanswered Goals Give Oil Kings Comeback Win over Pats - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Five Unanswered Doom Pats - Regina Pats
- Isaiah DiLaura Impresses in His Winterhawks Debut - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.