Calgary Hitmen Rise to Fifth in Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings
October 9, 2019 - Western Hockey League (WHL) News Release
Toronto, Ont. - The Canadian Hockey League today announced the week four edition of the Kia CHL Top-10 Rankings for the 2019-20 season. The weekly rankings of the CHL's Top-10 teams are selected by a panel of National Hockey League scouts.
After extending their record to 4-0-1-0, the fifth-place Calgary Hitmen are the top-ranked team from the Western Hockey League this week. The Hitmen downed the Portland Winterhawks by a 5-2 score Sunday for their fourth-straight victory in their lone game of the weekend. Vancouver Canucks prospect Carson Focht and Philadelphia Flyers prospect Egor Zamula are presently tied for the team lead in scoring with seven points (3G-4A) each. Up next for the Hitmen is a match against the Edmonton Oil Kings at Rogers Place on Saturday, October 12 (7:00 p.m. MT).
Right behind the Hitmen in sixth place are the defending WHL Champion Prince Albert Raiders, who have yet to lose in regulation following a 5-0-2-0 start. After dropping a 2-1 overtime contest to the Saskatoon Blades, the Raiders rebounded with a 6-0 shutout of the Regina Pats and a 4-2 win over the Vancouver Giants in a rematch of the 2019 Rogers WHL Championship Series. In addition to their spot in the Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings, the Raiders are also garnering strong attention ahead of the 2020 NHL Draft, with four skaters recently recognized by NHL Central Scouting. They're led by 'A'-rated prospect Kaiden Guhle, who is tied for fourth in WHL defensive scoring with six points (2G-4A) in seven games. The Raiders welcome the Lethbridge Hurricanes to the Art Hauser Centre on Friday, October 11 (7:00 p.m. MT).
Rising one spot to eighth in this week's Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings were the Edmonton Oil Kings, who lead the Central Division with a 5-1-2-0 record. Following an overtime loss last Wednesday, the Oil Kings responded with a 7-0 win over the Winnipeg ICE, 2-1 win against the Brandon Wheat Kings, and a 5-3 topping of the Regina Pats. Tied for the league lead with 30 goals for, the Oil Kings are buzzing offensively thanks to the likes of Riley Sawchuk and Josh Williams. The pair lead the team with nine points (3G-6A) each through eight games. Closing out a five-game road trip, the Oil Kings will take on the Moose Jaw Warriors at Mosaic Place on Wednesday, October 9 (7:00 p.m. MT).
Earning an honourable mention this week are the Moose Jaw Warriors. Sunday's 3-0 shutout of the Regina Pats was their lone game of the week, pushing their winning streak to four games and placing them second in the East Division. Acquired in the offseason, Ryder Korczak has quickly become an offensive leader for the Warriors, posting 10 points (2G-8A) in five games to rank in a tie for third in league scoring. The Warriors host the Oil Kings at Mosaic Place on Wednesday, October 9 (7:00 p.m. MT).
Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings - Week 4
Rank: Team: Last Week Ranked: Total Weeks Ranked:
1 Oshawa Generals (7-0-0-0) 7 2
2 Chicoutimi Sagueneens (4-1-1-0) 2 4
3 Sherbrooke Phoenix (6-1-1-0) 3 4
4 Cape Breton Eagles (6-1-0-0) 5 2
5 Calgary Hitmen (4-0-1-0) - 1
6 Prince Albert Raiders (5-0-2-0) - 1
7 Charlottetown Islanders (5-0-2-0) - 1
8 London Knights (3-2-0-0) 8 4
9 Edmonton Oil Kings (5-1-2-0) 9 4
10 Ottawa 67's (4-3-0-0) 1 4
Sudbury Wolves (5-2-0-0) - 0
Moose Jaw Warriors (4-1-0-0) - 0
Shawinigan Cataractes (5-1-0-0) - 0
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 9, 2019
- Six Rebels Prospects Named to WHL Cup Rosters - Red Deer Rebels
- Royals Prospects to Play in 2019 WHL Cup - Victoria Royals
- Four Prospects Named to WHL Cup Rosters - Prince George Cougars
- Calgary Hitmen Rise to Fifth in Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings - WHL
- Kovacevic to play for Team BC at the 2019 WHL Cup - Kelowna Rockets
- Game Day Hub: October 9 - Portland Winterhawks
- Six Broncos Draft Picks to Play at WHL Cup - Swift Current Broncos
- Wheat Kings Deal Wytinck to Pats - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Pats Acquire Overage Defenceman Zach Wytinck from Wheat Kings - Regina Pats
- Cougars, Prince George Community Foundation Team up for Mega 50/50 Jackpot - Prince George Cougars
- Chyzowski and Streek to Represent Team British Columbia at WHL Cup - Portland Winterhawks
- Seven Prospects Named to 2019 WHL Cup Rosters - Kamloops Blazers
- Five Blades Prospects Headed to 2019 WHL Cup - Saskatoon Blades
- Three Oil Kings Prospects Named to Rosters for 2019 WHL Cup - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Collora Signs with Hurricanes - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- WHL Announces Rosters for 2019 WHL Cup - WHL
- Smith Named to Vaughn CHL Team of the Week - Spokane Chiefs
- Calling on Fans to Bring Food Donations Friday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Preview: Broncos Host Winterhawks to IPlex in Lone Meeting of the Season - Swift Current Broncos
- Game Preview: Saskatoon Continues Quest for First Home Victory on Winning Wednesday - Saskatoon Blades
- Raiders Double up Giants in WHL Championship Rematch - Prince Albert Raiders
- Giants Drop a 4-2 Decision Tuesday Night in Prince Albert - Vancouver Giants
- Tigers Take Down Winterhawks 4-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Five Unanswered Goals Give Oil Kings Comeback Win over Pats - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Five Unanswered Doom Pats - Regina Pats
- Isaiah DiLaura Impresses in His Winterhawks Debut - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.