Calling on Fans to Bring Food Donations Friday
Brandon, MB. - With local food banks citing their fears of facing a potential food supply shortage this winter, Heritage Co-op and the Brandon Wheat Kings have stepped up their efforts to put out a call for donations.
Heritage Co-op is encouraging fans attending this Friday's Western Hockey League game between the Wheat Kings and Saskatoon Blades at Westoba Place to bring donations of non perishable food items.
All donations will then be delivered to Brandon's Samaritan House.
"We are in the business of fueling farms and feeding families, so it only makes sense that we make continual efforts to work with our local food banks to meet their needs," says Heritage Co-op general manager Lorne Zacharias. "Because we're also in the business of supporting our communities, our members can expect that their dollars will be plugged back into local community support initiatives and groups."
"By working with Heritage Co-op, we're able to lend support to a program that will benefit families throughout western Manitoba," says Wheat Kings' General Manager Darren Ritchie. "By getting involved, we hope to make a difference in our community by working together to reduce hunger in western Manitoba."
Motivated by a spirit of Christian service and humanitarian compassion, the founders of Samaritan House aimed to reach out and help those people in Brandon and surrounding area, who were in need. What began as a simple women's shelter has grown into an organization well equipped to help people.
Through their food bank and resource centre, shelter and literacy programs, hundreds are assisted each month.
While food continues to be the number one priority, Samaritan House executive director John Jackson says that his organization looks forward to opening up an expanded shelter next month.
"The space we had used previously, although safe and warm, was really insufficient for the volume of people that we were seeing. People were crammed in," Jackson recently told the Brandon Sun, explaining why they undertook these renovations in the first place. "There's not much dignity for people being crammed in, so this new space reflects the dignity that, we believe, people living on the streets should be entitled to."
Last winter, the Samaritan House shelter received triple the amount of nightly stays compared to the previous season.
With respect to food donations, Heritage Co-op has been a significant contributor to local food banks for years and Zacharias is happy to assist again this fall.
"Having the opportunity to partner with the Wheat Kings is a great way to assist Samaritan House and their short and long term objectives," says Zacharias.
As a reward to our generous community, Zacharias has also announced that for every goal scored by the Wheat Kings on Friday night, Heritage Co-op will discount 1 cent off a litre of gasoline on Saturday, October 12thfor all fans displaying their ticket stub.
Brandon enters Friday's game - its final home game in three weeks - with a record of 3-4-0 and are coming off a weekend that saw them collect four of a possible six points. One of those wins came in Saskatoon, where the Wheat Kings rallied to beat the Blades in an overtime shootout last Sunday night.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 9, 2019
- Six Rebels Prospects Named to WHL Cup Rosters - Red Deer Rebels
- Royals Prospects to Play in 2019 WHL Cup - Victoria Royals
- Four Prospects Named to WHL Cup Rosters - Prince George Cougars
- Calgary Hitmen Rise to Fifth in Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings - WHL
- Kovacevic to play for Team BC at the 2019 WHL Cup - Kelowna Rockets
- Game Day Hub: October 9 - Portland Winterhawks
- Six Broncos Draft Picks to Play at WHL Cup - Swift Current Broncos
- Wheat Kings Deal Wytinck to Pats - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Pats Acquire Overage Defenceman Zach Wytinck from Wheat Kings - Regina Pats
- Cougars, Prince George Community Foundation Team up for Mega 50/50 Jackpot - Prince George Cougars
- Chyzowski and Streek to Represent Team British Columbia at WHL Cup - Portland Winterhawks
- Seven Prospects Named to 2019 WHL Cup Rosters - Kamloops Blazers
- Five Blades Prospects Headed to 2019 WHL Cup - Saskatoon Blades
- Three Oil Kings Prospects Named to Rosters for 2019 WHL Cup - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Collora Signs with Hurricanes - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- WHL Announces Rosters for 2019 WHL Cup - WHL
- Smith Named to Vaughn CHL Team of the Week - Spokane Chiefs
- Calling on Fans to Bring Food Donations Friday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Preview: Broncos Host Winterhawks to IPlex in Lone Meeting of the Season - Swift Current Broncos
- Game Preview: Saskatoon Continues Quest for First Home Victory on Winning Wednesday - Saskatoon Blades
- Raiders Double up Giants in WHL Championship Rematch - Prince Albert Raiders
- Giants Drop a 4-2 Decision Tuesday Night in Prince Albert - Vancouver Giants
- Tigers Take Down Winterhawks 4-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Five Unanswered Goals Give Oil Kings Comeback Win over Pats - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Five Unanswered Doom Pats - Regina Pats
- Isaiah DiLaura Impresses in His Winterhawks Debut - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.