Preview: Broncos Host Winterhawks to IPlex in Lone Meeting of the Season
Swift Current, SK - The Swift Current Broncos (2-3-0-0) welcome the Portland Winterhawks (3-3-0-0) to the Innovation Credit Union iPlex Wednesday night, with both teams looking to bounce back from losses in their last game.
Friday the Broncos hosted the Red Deer Rebels and dropped a 5-1 decision, though the score may not have accurately reflected the game. Trailing 1-0 after one, the Broncos could have carried a 3-1 lead into the intermission if not for a pair of goal posts and highway robbery by Ethan Anders on Kye Buchanan.
Connor Horning eventually tied the game in the second period with his second goal in as many games, but the Rebels quickly regained their lead. Isaac Poulter made an old-school pad-stack glove save in the final minute of the period, while shorthanded 4-on-3, to keep it a one-goal game through 40 minutes.
Red Deer extended their lead to 3-1 nearly nine minute into the third before hitting the empty net and adding another goal with just over a minute left to take the game 5-1. Both teams finished 0-for-5 on the power play.
Portland is making their way through the Central Division, and hasn't much success so far. They are 0-3 so far on this six-game road trip and have scored two goals in all three games, 4-2 in Lethbridge on Friday, 5-2 in Calgary on Sunday and last night they dropped a 4-2 game to the Medicine Hat Tigers.
The Winterhawks were ahead 2-1 heading into the third period before the Tigers scored two goals in four seconds to take the lead. After the first goal, the Tigers won the face off and defenceman Daniel Baker picked up the puck on the red line.
He wound up like he was going to dump the puck around the boards, but Portland goalie Isaih Dilaura cheated out of his crease to stop the dump in, so Baker fired it right at the net and beat Dilaura on the glove side.
After winning their first three games, Portland has now dropped three straight and has three more to go on this road trip. They'll be in Red Deer Friday and Edmonton Sunday before they return to Oregon.
Tonight is the third of a four-game home stand for the Broncos before they begin a stretch of 10 of their next 11 on the road. Swift Current hosts Winnipeg on Saturday to round out the home stand, then will load the bus and leave Sunday morning on the British Columbia road swing.
October 9, 2019 - Broncos vs Winterhawks
Swift Current Broncos
Player Goals Assists Games Played
Joona Kiviniemi 2 1 5
Ben King 1 2 5
Conner Horning 2 0 5
Player Goals Assists Games Played
Johnny Ludvig 3 3 6
Jake Gricius 1 5 6
Clay Hanus 4 1 6
Team Power Play Penalty Kill
Swift Current 6.7 (22nd) 94.1 (1st)
Red Deer 18.2 (16th) 82.8 (11th)
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 9, 2019
- Six Rebels Prospects Named to WHL Cup Rosters - Red Deer Rebels
- Royals Prospects to Play in 2019 WHL Cup - Victoria Royals
- Four Prospects Named to WHL Cup Rosters - Prince George Cougars
- Calgary Hitmen Rise to Fifth in Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings - WHL
- Kovacevic to play for Team BC at the 2019 WHL Cup - Kelowna Rockets
- Game Day Hub: October 9 - Portland Winterhawks
- Six Broncos Draft Picks to Play at WHL Cup - Swift Current Broncos
- Wheat Kings Deal Wytinck to Pats - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Pats Acquire Overage Defenceman Zach Wytinck from Wheat Kings - Regina Pats
- Cougars, Prince George Community Foundation Team up for Mega 50/50 Jackpot - Prince George Cougars
- Chyzowski and Streek to Represent Team British Columbia at WHL Cup - Portland Winterhawks
- Seven Prospects Named to 2019 WHL Cup Rosters - Kamloops Blazers
- Five Blades Prospects Headed to 2019 WHL Cup - Saskatoon Blades
- Three Oil Kings Prospects Named to Rosters for 2019 WHL Cup - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Collora Signs with Hurricanes - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- WHL Announces Rosters for 2019 WHL Cup - WHL
- Smith Named to Vaughn CHL Team of the Week - Spokane Chiefs
- Calling on Fans to Bring Food Donations Friday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Preview: Broncos Host Winterhawks to IPlex in Lone Meeting of the Season - Swift Current Broncos
- Game Preview: Saskatoon Continues Quest for First Home Victory on Winning Wednesday - Saskatoon Blades
- Raiders Double up Giants in WHL Championship Rematch - Prince Albert Raiders
- Giants Drop a 4-2 Decision Tuesday Night in Prince Albert - Vancouver Giants
- Tigers Take Down Winterhawks 4-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Five Unanswered Goals Give Oil Kings Comeback Win over Pats - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Five Unanswered Doom Pats - Regina Pats
- Isaiah DiLaura Impresses in His Winterhawks Debut - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Swift Current Broncos Stories
- Prospect Profile: Connor Hvidston
- Prospect Profile: Carter Stebbings
- Golden West Broadcasting to Air Living Sky Casino Broncos Hockey for 2020-21 Season
- Saskatchewan's Five WHL Teams Announce Hockey Harvest Lottery
- Broncos Claim Michael Farren off Waivers from Kelowna