Rox Win Their Fourth Game in a Row, Defeat Willmar at the Rock Pile
St. Cloud, MN - RJ Martinez (Minot State) pitched a complete game on the mound as St. Cloud (12-10) defeated Willmar (15-8) by a final score of 8-1 at the Rock Pile. The Rox have won four games in a row, their longest win streak of the season.
The scoring began with a pair of runs in the sixth inning as Jordan Barth (Augustana) drilled an RBI-double to the gap in right field, scoring Hance Smith (California-Berkeley) from second base. Parker Smejkal (Nebraska-Omaha) later hit an RBI-single to left field and gave the Rox a 2-0 lead.
Looking for insurance runs in the eighth inning, St. Cloud received just that as they scored six runs and batted through their lineup. With the bases loaded, Smejkal hit a sac-fly RBI to center field and scored Smith from third base. Gus Steiger (South Dakota State) would later drive a 2-RBI single to right field that scored Barth and Garrett Delano (Brown).
Tyler Finke (Southeastern Louisiana), who finished 3-4 at the plate, singled through the 5-6 gap and scored Brett Bonar (Nebraska-Omaha), who was put on base after an intentional walk. Brady Harlan (Oklahoma) capped off the inning with a 2-RBI single to left field that scored Steiger and Finke. It finished as a six run eighth inning for the Rox.
Martinez, who claimed his third consecutive win on the mound, finished with seven strikeouts and did not walk a batter in his complete game victory.
For the full box score from Tuesday's game, click here.
St. Cloud will be back at home on Wednesday against the Willmar Stingers with a 7:05 p.m. first pitch time. The national entertainment act ZOOperstars will be at the Rock Pile. It's also Blue Line Sports Bar and Grill Gift Card Night. The first 250 fans 21 and older will receive a gift card with various dollar amounts to be redeemed at either Blue Line-Sartell or Blue Line-South.
All single games tickets - including to the home opener - can be purchased now in person at the Rox Ticket Office located at the Municipal Athletic Complex, by calling the Rox Ticket office at 320-240-9798 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday or 24 hours a day by visiting www.stcloudrox.com.
Images from this story
St. Cloud Rox pitcher RJ Martinez
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 18, 2019
- Loggers split home-and-home series with Eau Claire - La Crosse Loggers
- Booyah Get Fourth Shutout of the Season - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Lose in St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- Mallards Blow Past Woodchucks 7-2 - Madison Mallards
- Rox Win Their Fourth Game in a Row, Defeat Willmar at the Rock Pile - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Win Close Contest with Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Start Strong But Can't Hang on to Win against Madison - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bismarck Larks Shutout Huskies in Game One - Duluth Huskies
- Pit Spitters Fall to Jackrabbits 6-1 in Divisional Tilt - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Two-Game Home Set with Chinooks Starts for Rafters - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Capital Credit Union Park to Host 'Rumble on the Bay' on August 24 - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Tradition of Honoring Military Continues - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Free Car Wash for All Veterans and Active Military - Willmar Stingers
- Dock Spiders Homestand Highlights (June 20-22) - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Chinooks Walk to Wild Win - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Late Inning Rally Spoils Dock Spiders Chances - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Mallards Sink Rafters 4-1 for Series Split - Madison Mallards
- Rox Score Season High 12 Runs, Sweep Duluth - St. Cloud Rox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Cloud Rox Stories
- Rox Close Historic 2019 Season with Many Highlights
- St. Cloud Battles with Willmar, Falls to Stingers in the Playoffs
- Delano Breaks RBI Record, Rox Fall in Game One of Playoffs to Willmar
- St. Cloud Rox 2019 Playoff Picture
- Rox Clinch Playoff Berth During Game Two of Doubleheader, Play at Home Monday