Mallards Sink Rafters 4-1 for Series Split
WISCONSIN RAPIDS, Wis. - The Madison Mallards(15-6) defeated the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters 4-1 on Monday night at WitterField with strong pitching and a consistent offense. The Mallards scattered eight hits offensively and drew 10 walks as a team.
The Mallards got on the board in the second inning when Ben Anderson (Georgia) plated Drew Williams (San Jose State) to open a 1-0 lead. In the third, Williams bounced into a fielder's choice to score a second run and give the Mallards a 2-0 cushion.
After four quiet innings, the Mallards tacked on another pair of runs in the eighth, starting with Justin Wiley (UAB) scoringon an error. Later in the frame, Timo Schau (Southern Wesleyan) hit an RBI single to secure a 4-0 lead.
The Rafters scored their lone run in the bottom of the eighth on a sacrifice fly from Jake Dunham (NIU).
Lowell Schipper (Richmond) dominated on the mound for the Mallards and earned his second win of the season, picking up a season-high eight strikeouts in five innings pitched. Jack Sinclair (UCF) was given the loss for the Rafters.
In the eighth inning, the Rafters threatened with the bases loaded and one out. Theo Denlinger (Bradley) entered and kept the lead intact for the Mallards. Denlinger made his ninth appearance of the season and recorded the last five outs on the mound.
Schipper had his best start of the season, carrying a no-hitter into the fifth inning. The right-hander allowed just two hits during his outing.
Drew Benefield (Louisville) finished 1-for-2 at the plate, but drew three walks and reached safely in all but one of his five plate appearances.
Schau was the only Mallard with a multi-hit game and finished 2-for-5 with an RBI.
The Mallards finish a quick, two-game road swing with a trip to Wausau on Tuesday to face off against the Wisconsin Woodchucks. First pitch from Athletic Park is slated for 6:35 p.m. Hear every pitch of the 2019 Mallards' season live on The Zone, 96.7 FM and 1670 AM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 18, 2019
- Loggers split home-and-home series with Eau Claire - La Crosse Loggers
- Booyah Get Fourth Shutout of the Season - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Lose in St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- Mallards Blow Past Woodchucks 7-2 - Madison Mallards
- Rox Win Their Fourth Game in a Row, Defeat Willmar at the Rock Pile - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Win Close Contest with Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Start Strong But Can't Hang on to Win against Madison - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bismarck Larks Shutout Huskies in Game One - Duluth Huskies
- Pit Spitters Fall to Jackrabbits 6-1 in Divisional Tilt - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Two-Game Home Set with Chinooks Starts for Rafters - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Capital Credit Union Park to Host 'Rumble on the Bay' on August 24 - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Tradition of Honoring Military Continues - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Free Car Wash for All Veterans and Active Military - Willmar Stingers
- Dock Spiders Homestand Highlights (June 20-22) - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Chinooks Walk to Wild Win - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Late Inning Rally Spoils Dock Spiders Chances - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Mallards Sink Rafters 4-1 for Series Split - Madison Mallards
- Rox Score Season High 12 Runs, Sweep Duluth - St. Cloud Rox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Mallards Stories
- Mallards Land Four Wisconsin Natives for 2020
- Trio of 2019 Mallards Headed Back to Madison
- Mallards Featuring $5 Grandstand and $25 Great Dane Duck Blind Tickets in #TurnBackTuesday Flash Special
- Mallards to Host We Didn't Start the Fire Sale at the Duck Pond
- Northwoods League Announces 2020 Schedule: Mallards Launching 20 Summers of Wiener Campaign Commemorating 20th Season in Madison