Mallards Blow Past Woodchucks 7-2
WAUSAU, Wis. - The Madison Mallards (16-6) clicked on all cylinders and defeated the Wisconsin Woodchucks 7-2 at Athletic Park on Monday. Strong pitching and a stellar offensive day from Drew Benefield (Louisville) created a comfortable cushion for the Mallards.
The Woodchucks started the scoring early and took a 2-0 lead in the first inning off RBIs from TJ Reeves (Alabama) and Angel Tiburcio (FIU). Wisconsin had three hits in the first inning, but those were the only base knocks they had the rest of the game.
The Mallards roared back with three runs in the third. Justin Wiley (UAB) scored the first Mallards run on a wild pitch. Later, RBI singles from Logan Michaels (Virginia) and Benefield pushed the Mallards ahead 3-2.
In the fifth, Benefield added insurance as he drilled a two-RBI double off the left-field wall and opened a 5-2 cushion for Madison.
Benefield tacked on the exclamation point to his day with a two-run home run in the seventh inning. The blast was Benefield's Northwoods League-high sixth of the summer and gave the Mallards a strong five-run, 7-2 advantage which ultimately held on as the final.
Quinn Gudaitis (Illinois Wesleyan) tossed six innings on the mound for the Mallards and earned his third win of the season. Gudaitis allowed three first-inning hits and two runs, but also struck out six 'Chucks. Robert Wegielnik (FL Southwest State College) was given the loss. Brody Gibson (Oral Roberts) picked up the save for the Mallards with three strong innings of relief pitching.
With a tie game in the third inning, Benefield bounced a single through the infield to give the Mallards their first lead of the game, 3-2. It was a lead Madison never relinquished.
Benefield mashed at the plate and finished 3-for-5 with a double, a home run and five RBI. It marked his second five-RBI game of the summer.
Michaels was the other Mallard to turn in a multi-hit game, finishing 2-for-5 with an RBI. He also scored two of the seven Madison runs.
Gibson entered on the mound in the seventh inning with a comfortable five-run lead, but did not allow any runs for the Woodchucks and picked up his first save of the summer. In three innings of work, Gibson struck out two.
The Mallards return home to Warner Park and close out the series with the Woodchucks on Wednesday. First pitch at the Duck Pond is set for 6:35 p.m. and the game will feature an appearance from Charlie Berens of the Manitowoc Minute. Hear every pitch of the 2019 Mallards' season live on The Zone, 96.7 FM and 1670 AM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 18, 2019
- Loggers split home-and-home series with Eau Claire - La Crosse Loggers
- Booyah Get Fourth Shutout of the Season - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Lose in St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- Mallards Blow Past Woodchucks 7-2 - Madison Mallards
- Rox Win Their Fourth Game in a Row, Defeat Willmar at the Rock Pile - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Win Close Contest with Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Start Strong But Can't Hang on to Win against Madison - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bismarck Larks Shutout Huskies in Game One - Duluth Huskies
- Pit Spitters Fall to Jackrabbits 6-1 in Divisional Tilt - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Two-Game Home Set with Chinooks Starts for Rafters - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Capital Credit Union Park to Host 'Rumble on the Bay' on August 24 - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Tradition of Honoring Military Continues - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Free Car Wash for All Veterans and Active Military - Willmar Stingers
- Dock Spiders Homestand Highlights (June 20-22) - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Chinooks Walk to Wild Win - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Late Inning Rally Spoils Dock Spiders Chances - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Mallards Sink Rafters 4-1 for Series Split - Madison Mallards
- Rox Score Season High 12 Runs, Sweep Duluth - St. Cloud Rox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Mallards Stories
- Mallards 2020 - Undefeated
- Spooktacular Lineup of Movies Headed to the Haunted Duck Pond Drive-In
- Harry Potter Night Jersey Auction to Benefit the Children's Theater of Madison
- Mallards General Manager Tyler Isham Moving On
- Mallards Offer Exclusive 2020 Bobbleheads with Drive-In Movies