Pit Spitters Fall to Jackrabbits 6-1 in Divisional Tilt
Traverse City, MI - The Pit Spitters came up short in a matchup of the top two teams in the Great Lakes East division on Tuesday night, falling to the Kokomo Jackrabbits, 6-1. After taking the first three games of the team's current six game homestand, they have dropped the last two and risk sliding in a very competitive division.
The teams traded first inning strikes, the Jackrabbits loading the bases with nobody out and scoring on an RBI double play ball of the bat of first basemen Jack Kraus. The Pit Spitters answered with a two out triple from Michael Slaton (JR Benedictine,) and an RBI single from Andrew Morrow (JR Michigan State.) The Pit Spitters would not record their next hit until the bottom of the ninth inning.
The Jackrabbits put the game to bed in the fifth inning, sending eight men to the plate. Three hits, two Pit Spitters errors, and a walk added up to three Jackrabbits runs in the inning, which took the score to 5-1. They tacked on an insurance run in the seventh. From there, the pitching staff held firm, delivering the road club the victory.
Earning his first win of the season is Kokomo left hander, Owen Callghan, with the loss falling to Evan Gates, whose record now sits at 2-2.
The Pit Spitters wrap up their six game homestand Wednesday with a 7:05 p.m. matchup with the Kokomo Jackrabbits. Every Wednesday is "Hometown Hero Wednesday," at Pit Spitters Park, with all active military and veterans, first responders, snowplow drivers, and fans 50 or better receiving a half-price ticket at the box office. Gates will open at 6:00 p.m.
Tickets are available online at www.pitspitters.com. Prices are $6 for lawn and $10 for box seats. Season and group tickets are still on sale and can be purchased by calling (231) 943-0100. Season ticket options include 5-game, 10-game, half-season, and full-season packages. Each package offers different amenities including discounts on tickets, VIP parking, merchandise, early access to games, exclusive event invites and more. In addition to these packages, there are also 5-game patio table and 10-game patio table options available that include additional discounts and full wait service. Groups of 20 or more may reserve tickets for any 2019 game. They are available in the box seat and lawn sections. Groups will receive a discount on tickets, their name announced during the game and receive discounts on souvenirs and parking.
Complete schedule and ticket information including season tickets, group prices and perks is available at www.pitspitters.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 18, 2019
- Loggers split home-and-home series with Eau Claire - La Crosse Loggers
- Booyah Get Fourth Shutout of the Season - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Lose in St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- Mallards Blow Past Woodchucks 7-2 - Madison Mallards
- Rox Win Their Fourth Game in a Row, Defeat Willmar at the Rock Pile - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Win Close Contest with Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Start Strong But Can't Hang on to Win against Madison - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bismarck Larks Shutout Huskies in Game One - Duluth Huskies
- Pit Spitters Fall to Jackrabbits 6-1 in Divisional Tilt - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Two-Game Home Set with Chinooks Starts for Rafters - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Capital Credit Union Park to Host 'Rumble on the Bay' on August 24 - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Tradition of Honoring Military Continues - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Free Car Wash for All Veterans and Active Military - Willmar Stingers
- Dock Spiders Homestand Highlights (June 20-22) - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Chinooks Walk to Wild Win - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Late Inning Rally Spoils Dock Spiders Chances - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Mallards Sink Rafters 4-1 for Series Split - Madison Mallards
- Rox Score Season High 12 Runs, Sweep Duluth - St. Cloud Rox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Traverse City Pit Spitters Stories
- Pit Spitters Are Northwoods Champions on Walk-Off
- Pit Spitters Take Division Crown, off to Championship Game
- Pit Spitters Advance to Division Championship on Walk-Off
- Seven Run Inning Lifts Pit Spitters over Growlers in Game One
- Pit Spitters Down Rivets 11-7 in Front of Sell-Out Crowd