Stingers Lose in St. Cloud
St. Cloud, Minn. - The Stingers fall to the St. Cloud Rox in the first of a two-game series 8-1. The Stingers still remain on top of the Great Plains Division with Rochester close behind.
Jack Zigan (Minn. State-Mankato) got the nod in tonight's game. He gave the Stingers a chance to win with five scoreless innings. He allowed two runs to score before completing his sixth inning of work. Zigan walked two batters and sent down four on strikes.
It was another pitcher's duel tonight as both starters pitched deep into the ballgame without allowing a run. In the sixth, it was the Rox that scored two runs off two hits. 2-0 Rox. Branden Boissiere (Arizona) had himself a solid game with three hits but the Stingers were unable to bring him across. Jake Marsh (Bethel) was first in relief for the Stingers. The score remained at 2-0 until the eighth when the Rox ran away with the game. St. Cloud was able to score six runs off six hits. This brought the score to 8-0 Rox.
The Stingers didn't go down without a fight. In the ninth, Sam Baier (Augustana) lead off with a double. The next batter, Daniel Walsh (Sac City) was able to advance Baier to third on a single. Later, Baier tagged up from third scoring on a close play when Noah Haupt (New Mexico State) sacrifice flew out to the centerfielder. 8-1 was the final in favor of the Rox. Willmar looks to even the two-game series tomorrow as the head back to St. Cloud. First pitch scheduled for 7:05pm.
The 2019 Stingers season is presented by J.D. Kreps Financial Group. For more coverage of the Stingers visit the West Central Tribune online at www.wctrib.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 18, 2019
- Loggers split home-and-home series with Eau Claire - La Crosse Loggers
- Booyah Get Fourth Shutout of the Season - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Lose in St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- Mallards Blow Past Woodchucks 7-2 - Madison Mallards
- Rox Win Their Fourth Game in a Row, Defeat Willmar at the Rock Pile - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Win Close Contest with Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Start Strong But Can't Hang on to Win against Madison - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bismarck Larks Shutout Huskies in Game One - Duluth Huskies
- Pit Spitters Fall to Jackrabbits 6-1 in Divisional Tilt - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Two-Game Home Set with Chinooks Starts for Rafters - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Capital Credit Union Park to Host 'Rumble on the Bay' on August 24 - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Tradition of Honoring Military Continues - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Free Car Wash for All Veterans and Active Military - Willmar Stingers
- Dock Spiders Homestand Highlights (June 20-22) - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Chinooks Walk to Wild Win - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Late Inning Rally Spoils Dock Spiders Chances - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Mallards Sink Rafters 4-1 for Series Split - Madison Mallards
- Rox Score Season High 12 Runs, Sweep Duluth - St. Cloud Rox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.