Bismarck Larks Shutout Huskies in Game One
Duluth, Minn - The Duluth Huskies and the Bismarck Larks faced off Tuesday night in the first meeting of the season between the two teams.
The Larks put up 2 runs on the Huskies in the top of the 1st inning on back to back RBI singles from Brian Leonhardt and Jack Chernow that scored Wyatt Ulrich and David Mendham. They were able to tack on one more in the 4th when Cooper Bowman came home on a wild pitch after he stole 2nd base and advanced to 3rd base on a passed ball.
As the game entered the halfway point, neither team really had a breakout inning where a bunch of runs were scored. The Larks held a 3 run lead; 2 of which came in the top of the 1st. Larks Starting Pitcher Rogers retired 22 out of the 27 Huskies batters he faced in his outing.
Duluth managed to get their first and only man in scoring position with two outs in the bottom of the 6th inning but couldn't capitalize. Dan Hansen then came in to relieve Mason Bryant in the top of the 7th for his 3rd season appearance. Bryant allowed 3 runs (1 earned) on 4 hits and struck out 8 while walking 6 in 6 IP.
Then Zack Gregory and Wyatt Ulrich came around home after Jack Chernow hit a bloop double over Carter Putz's head at 1st base to stretch Bismarck's lead to 5-0. Hansen would strike out 2 straight to strand Larks at 2nd and 3 rd to minimize the damage. Hansen was replaced by Alex Rao in the top of the 8th inning after throwing one inning in which he allowed 2 earned runs on 2 hits, 2 walks, and struck 3 out.
Rao left after throwing a scoreless 8th inning and was replaced by Cole Milam who struck out the Larks' side to send it to the bottom of the 9th inning. Gavin Rogers was replaced by Evan Miller in the bottom of the 9th. Rogers pitched a gem; giving up no runs on 2 hits, walked only 3, and struck out 7 in 8 IP.
Miller would record three straight outs to secure the shutout win for Bismarck and take a 1-0 series lead over Duluth.
The Huskies face the Larks once again tomorrow night at Wade Stadium with first pitch set for 6:35 pm with live game coverage on 92.1 The fan and twinportssportshub.com beginning at 6:25 pm. All Duluth Huskies and Northwoods League games are live streamed online at portal.stretchlive.com/nwl to watch.
Be sure to follow the Duluth Huskies on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat all season long. Check out duluthhuskies.com for tickets to upcoming games. For more in-depth news on the Huskies, be sure to follow @XtraInningsWithRyne and @JoeChatzHuskies on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 18, 2019
- Loggers split home-and-home series with Eau Claire - La Crosse Loggers
- Booyah Get Fourth Shutout of the Season - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Lose in St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- Mallards Blow Past Woodchucks 7-2 - Madison Mallards
- Rox Win Their Fourth Game in a Row, Defeat Willmar at the Rock Pile - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Win Close Contest with Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Start Strong But Can't Hang on to Win against Madison - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bismarck Larks Shutout Huskies in Game One - Duluth Huskies
- Pit Spitters Fall to Jackrabbits 6-1 in Divisional Tilt - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Two-Game Home Set with Chinooks Starts for Rafters - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Capital Credit Union Park to Host 'Rumble on the Bay' on August 24 - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Tradition of Honoring Military Continues - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Free Car Wash for All Veterans and Active Military - Willmar Stingers
- Dock Spiders Homestand Highlights (June 20-22) - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Chinooks Walk to Wild Win - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Late Inning Rally Spoils Dock Spiders Chances - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Mallards Sink Rafters 4-1 for Series Split - Madison Mallards
- Rox Score Season High 12 Runs, Sweep Duluth - St. Cloud Rox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.