Rossi Nets First Professional Goal as Wild Fall to Stars, 3-1
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa Wild (1-1-0-0; 2 pts.) fell to the Texas Stars (1-1-0-0; 2 pts.) Sunday night by a score of 3-1. 2020 first-round pick (9th Overall), Marco Rossi, scored his first professional goal in the losing effort.
Texas opened the scoring as forward Nick Caamano deflected a shot from defenseman Ryan Shea past goaltender Dereck Baribeau (28 saves) at 7:09 of the first period to make the score 1-0 Stars.
Despite outshooting the Stars 14-9 in the first period, the Wild faced a 1-0 deficit heading into the second stanza.
At 7:37 of the second period, Stars' forward Riley Damiani scored on a wrist shot from the high slot on the power play. Damiani's goal gave Texas a 2-0 lead over the Wild.
Less than a minute after Damiani's tally, Wild forward Marco Rossi scored on a wraparound chance at 8:14 on a feed from Joe Hicketts. Calen Addison was credited with the secondary assist on the goal, which made the score 2-1 in favor of the Stars.
The Stars outshot the Wild 16-12 in the second period of play. At the end of the second, shots were 26-25 in favor of Iowa, with the Wild trailing 2-1.
At 6:50 of the third period, Riley Damiani scored his second goal of the game, and his second on the powerplay. The goal gave Texas a two-goal cushion as they held a 3-1 lead.
With just under three minutes remaining in the contest, the Wild pulled goaltender Dereck Baribeau for the extra attacker. Despite their efforts, Stars goalie Jake Oettinger (43 saves) held strong as Iowa fell 3-1.
Shots in the third period were 18-6 in favor of Iowa, and at the conclusion of the game were 44-31 in favor of the Wild.
On special teams, the Stars scored on two of their three chances on the man advantage, while the Wild were not able to capitalize on any of their six chances on the power play.
The Wild head home to prepare for their home opener on Friday, Oct. 22nd against the Rockford IceHogs.
Iowa Wild hockey is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center. For more information, please visit www.iowawild.com. The Iowa Wild home opener at Wells Fargo Arena is scheduled for Friday, Oct. 22 at 7 p.m. against the Rockford IceHogs. Fans can purchase single-game tickets through the team's website at www.iowawild.com. Group tickets (10 or more), suites, Wild 365 memberships or premium tickets can be purchased by contacting the Iowa Wild Ticket Department at 515-564-8700 or email@example.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 17, 2021
- Stars Bounce Back with 3-1 Win - Texas Stars
- Marlies Fall 5-0 to Manitoba - Toronto Marlies
- Marlies Fall 5-0 to Manitoba - Toronto Marlies
- Colorado Falls to Silver Knights, 6-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Silver Knights Defeat Eagles 6-3 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Rossi Nets First Professional Goal as Wild Fall to Stars, 3-1 - Iowa Wild
- Moose Dominate Marlies to Record First Win - Manitoba Moose
- Comets Defeat Americans 6-2 in Front of Sold out Crowd on Opening Night - Utica Comets
- Thunderbirds Edge Islanders 4-3 in a Shootout - Bridgeport Islanders
- Amerks Drop Season Opener to Comets - Rochester Americans
- Hershey Holds off Phantoms in Frantic Finish - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- P-Bruins Earn One Point in First Road Game, Fall to Hartford Wolf Pack in Shootout, 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Dealt First Loss of the Season by Checkers, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- T-Birds Outlast Islanders for Second Straight Win - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Wolf Pack Battle Back to Knock off Bruins 4-3 in Shootout Thriller - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Hershey Holds on Late to Sweep Opening Weekend - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Earn First Win behind Daccord's Strong Performance - Charlotte Checkers
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Benoit; Pateryn, Dostal and Durny Join Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Henderson Silver Knights Foundation Announces 52/48 Raffle - Henderson Silver Knights
- Nardella Selected for National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame - Chicago Wolves
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Yegor Chinakhov from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolf Pack Look to Finish Busy Weekend on Winning Note - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 3 PM - Hershey Bears
- Nick Seeler Loaned to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penalty Kill Shines as Hammond Blanks Stars in Season Opener - Iowa Wild
- Abbotsford Canucks Lose 5-3 in Inaugural AHL Game - Abbotsford Canucks
- Reign Scores Opening-Night Victory over San Diego - Ontario Reign
- Ontario Sends Gulls to Loss in Season Opener - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins Suffer First Road Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Earn Weekend Split against Tucson with 3-2 Win - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.