Romero, Bulls Edge Knights 2-1
CHARLOTTE, NC - Bulls starting pitcher Tommy Romero fired six and two-thirds strong innings, yielding a lone earned run, while center fielder Josh Lowe collected three hits and shortstop Vidal Brujan swiped two bases to up his season total to forty steals in Durham's 2-1 victory over the Charlotte Knights on Wednesday evening at Truist Field.
With the victory, the Bulls improve their 2021 record to 74-42, lowering their magic number to clinch the best mark at the Triple-A level to two. Durham last night clinched the Triple-A East Southeast Division, the 15th division crown in the 23rd season in the franchise's Triple-A history.
Romero (6.2 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K), who on Monday was named the Triple-A East League's Pitcher of the Week after striking out a career-high 13 batters, earned his fifth victory with the Bulls. Over his last four starts, he has compiled a 3-0 record and 0.71 ERA (2 ER/25.1 IP), adding 36 strikeouts. Durham relievers Kenny Rosenberg (1.0 IP, H, BB, K), Josh Fleming (1.1 IP, H, 2 K) combined for the final 2.1 scoreless frames, while Charlotte lefty Kyle Kubat (4.2 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 4 K) suffered the defeat.
The Bulls got both of the runs they would need in the opening frame. Lowe would smash a run-scoring single to center, before coming across on an RBI groundout to make it 2-0. The Knights would narrow the gap to one in the subsequent frame, though they would be kept off the board from that point on.
Durham continues their six-game road series in Charlotte on Thursday night, with first pitch scheduled for 7:04pm. RHP Shane Baz is anticipated to get the nod for the Bulls, while RHP Kade McClure is slated to start for the Knights.
The Bulls return to Durham for their final homestand of the 2021 campaign on Wednesday, September 22 to start a five-game set versus the Gwinnett Stripers, the Triple-A affiliate of the Atlanta Braves. First pitch of the series opener is set for 6:35pm. Tickets for that game, as well as all remaining Bulls home games are available and can be purchased at DurhamBulls.com.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 15, 2021
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Five-Run Seventh Propels Jacksonville to Victory - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Tides Fall to Jacksonville Late to Split Series - Norfolk Tides
- Knights Fall to Bulls 2-1 on Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Blast Red Wings, 20-3, to Move One Step Away from Division Title - Buffalo Bisons
- Rodriguez Hits 200th Home Run in Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- Romero, Bulls Edge Knights 2-1 - Durham Bulls
- IronPigs and RailRiders Postponed Due to Rain - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Game Suspended - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Sounds Game in Gwinnett Cancelled Due to Rain - Nashville Sounds
- Early 'Birds Get the Worm, Score Quick & Often in Day Game Win - Louisville Bats
- Redbirds Roll to Wednesday Afternoon Win - Memphis Redbirds
- WooSox and Mets Cancelled Due to Rain - Worcester Red Sox
- September 15 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Mets and Red Sox Rained out on Wednesday - Syracuse Mets
- Indy's Afternoon Rally Falls Short, 3-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Burrows Masterful as Saints Hang on for 3-2 Victory over Indianapolis - St. Paul Saints
- 7-Run Fifth Keeps Bats Hot - Louisville Bats
- Sounds Return to First Horizon Park on September 22 for Final Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 15, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 15, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (54-60) vs. St. Paul Saints (59-56) - Indianapolis Indians
- Fab Five: Indians Welcome Five New Additions to Staff - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders Top Flailing IronPigs - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Omaha Held to Four Hits in Series-Opening Loss to Iowa - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Brennen Davis Clubs Two Long Balls in 8-1 Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Drop Series Opener to Louisville - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Durham Bulls Stories
- Bulls Announce Return of Wool E. Bull's Baste Race Presented by Pnc Bank
- Bulls Finish Historic Season with 86-44 Record After 3-2 Defeat
- Bulls Clinch Final Stretch Title with Dramatic 5-3 Win over Tides
- Bulls Earn Tenth Straight Win, Inch Closer to Final Stretch Title with 2-1 Victory
- Durham Wins Ninth Straight, Blanks Norfolk 8-0