Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 15, 2021
Wednesday, September 15th 12:15 p.m. CT Memphis Redbirds (53-62) vs. Louisville Bats (50-64) Game 2 of 6
AutoZone Park / Memphis, TN Game #116 of 130 Home Game #56 of 65
RHP Johan Oviedo (1-6, 6.61 ERA) vs. RHP Riley O'Brien (7-6, 4.24 ERA)
MiLB.TV/First Pitch App: Evan Stockton & Justin Gallanty
Last Time Out: The Memphis Redbirds dropped the series opener at the hands of the Louisville Bats by a score of 10-4 on Tuesday night. The 'Birds jumped out to an early lead when a run scored on a Scott Hurst ground ball in the second inning. Austin Dean ripped a two-run double in the third inning to extend the lead to 3-0. The fifth inning would prove to be the Redbirds' undoing as Louisville was able to plate seven runs. The final Memphis run of the night came in the sixth inning on a pinch-hit sacrifice fly from Conner Capel.
Memphis Starter: Johan Oviedo will make 11th start of the season for the Redbirds today. Oviedo threw the ball very well in his last start against Nashville, carrying a no-hitter into the sixth inning and striking out 10. Those 10 strikeouts were the most for any Redbirds' pitcher in a game this season. In his prior outing, Oviedo tossed 3.2-scoreless innings before the game was suspended. The 23-year-old has made 14 appearances and 13 starts in the major leagues with St. Louis this year and posted a 4.91 ERA in 62.1 innings. Oviedo started against Louisville on May 21 and yielded three runs in 5.1 innings.
Louisville Starter: Riley O'Brien gets the ball for his 22nd appearance and 21st start of the year for Louisville today. Last time out, O'Brien allowed just one run and struck out seven in a win against Indianapolis. O'Brien has been excellent over his last three starts, combining to allow just two runs on six hits in 14.0 innings while striking out 18 batters. Today will be O'Brien's fourth start of the season against Memphis. In his three prior outings, he has posted a 1.76 ERA in 15.1 innings. The 26-year-old was acquired by Cincinnati in a trade with Tampa Bay on August 28, 2020 in exchange for LHP Cody Reed. O'Brien was drafted by Tampa Bay in the eight round of the 2017 MLB Draft out of the College of Idaho.
Welcome to Memphis: Nick Plummer reached base two more times in Sunday night's game against Nashville. In 16 games since his promotion from Double-A Springfield, Plummer has reached in 33 of his 67 plate appearances, good for a .493 on-base percentage.
Hot Stretch for Kramer: Kramer Robertson has been on-fire over the last 14 games. Robertson has multiple hits in six of those contests, going 19-54 (BA of .352) with a home run, five RBI, ten runs, four doubles, a triple and three stolen bases. Robertson had an 11-game hitting streak and a 19-game on-base streak snapped on Thursday night, both the longest for any Redbirds player this season.
Brendan's Bringing It: Brendan Donovan had one heck of a week in Nashville last week. He went 9-19 (BA of .474) at the plate with eight runs scored, two home runs and eight runs driven in. Donovan was named the Triple-A East Player of the Week after his outstanding performance. Donovan had another hit in Tuesday night's contest against Louisville, giving him a three-game hitting streak.
Good to be Gorman: Nolan Gorman is the midst of a season-long eight-game hitting streak. He's smacked two home runs and driving in seven runs during that time. The 21-year-old had two hits in the game against Louisville on Tuesday night.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 15, 2021
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Five-Run Seventh Propels Jacksonville to Victory - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Tides Fall to Jacksonville Late to Split Series - Norfolk Tides
- Knights Fall to Bulls 2-1 on Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Blast Red Wings, 20-3, to Move One Step Away from Division Title - Buffalo Bisons
- Rodriguez Hits 200th Home Run in Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- Romero, Bulls Edge Knights 2-1 - Durham Bulls
- IronPigs and RailRiders Postponed Due to Rain - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Game Suspended - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Sounds Game in Gwinnett Cancelled Due to Rain - Nashville Sounds
- Early 'Birds Get the Worm, Score Quick & Often in Day Game Win - Louisville Bats
- Redbirds Roll to Wednesday Afternoon Win - Memphis Redbirds
- WooSox and Mets Cancelled Due to Rain - Worcester Red Sox
- September 15 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Mets and Red Sox Rained out on Wednesday - Syracuse Mets
- Indy's Afternoon Rally Falls Short, 3-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Burrows Masterful as Saints Hang on for 3-2 Victory over Indianapolis - St. Paul Saints
- 7-Run Fifth Keeps Bats Hot - Louisville Bats
- Sounds Return to First Horizon Park on September 22 for Final Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 15, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 15, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (54-60) vs. St. Paul Saints (59-56) - Indianapolis Indians
- Fab Five: Indians Welcome Five New Additions to Staff - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders Top Flailing IronPigs - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Omaha Held to Four Hits in Series-Opening Loss to Iowa - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Brennen Davis Clubs Two Long Balls in 8-1 Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Drop Series Opener to Louisville - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.