Redbirds Roll to Wednesday Afternoon Win
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - The Memphis Redbirds bounced back from a loss on Tuesday night in a big way on Wednesday afternoon, rolling to a 12-3 win over the Louisville Bats (Triple-A affiliate, Cincinnati Reds) via powerful bats and impressive pitching.
Memphis (54-62) raced out a huge early advantage, plating 12 runs on 10 hits in the first five innings. The 'Birds used extra-base power to score their early runs. Conner Capel, Dennis Ortega and Nolan Gorman each smacked home runs in the first, second and third inning respectively, while Alec Burleson added an RBI double and Nick Plummer lined a two-run triple down the right-field line in the fourth inning.
Gorman has been in some kind of groove recently. He's in the midst of a nine-game hitting streak, with eight runs driven in during that time.
But, wait...there was more. The Redbirds poured on five more runs in the fifth inning, highlighted by a two-run double from Kramer Robertson and a two-run single from Brendan Donovan. Donovan has been truly impressive recently. In his last eight games, he's 11-28 (batting average of .393) at the plate with nine runs driven in and ten runs scored.
Johan Oviedo had a strong start for Memphis, allowing just one run to Louisville (50-65) on three hits with two walks and seven strikeouts in 4.0 innings. From there, five relief pitchers (Brandon Waddell, Angel Rondón, Seth Elledge, Connor Jones and Jesús Cruz) combined to allow just two runs in the final five innings. The Memphis pitching staff racked up 11 strikeouts in the game, all of which were swinging strikeouts.
The Memphis Redbirds are the proud Triple-A Affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals. Memphis has claimed four League Championships and one Triple-A National Championship since their affiliation with St. Louis began in 1998. For the latest team news, follow the Redbirds on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Ticket information can be found at memphisredbirds.com/tickets.
Thursday, September 16 vs. Louisville (6:45 p.m. CT)
- Redbirds Probable Starter: LHP Connor Thomas
- Bats Probable Starter: RHP Zach Lee
Listen: MiLB First Pitch App
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 15, 2021
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Five-Run Seventh Propels Jacksonville to Victory - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Tides Fall to Jacksonville Late to Split Series - Norfolk Tides
- Knights Fall to Bulls 2-1 on Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Blast Red Wings, 20-3, to Move One Step Away from Division Title - Buffalo Bisons
- Rodriguez Hits 200th Home Run in Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- Romero, Bulls Edge Knights 2-1 - Durham Bulls
- IronPigs and RailRiders Postponed Due to Rain - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Game Suspended - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Sounds Game in Gwinnett Cancelled Due to Rain - Nashville Sounds
- Early 'Birds Get the Worm, Score Quick & Often in Day Game Win - Louisville Bats
- Redbirds Roll to Wednesday Afternoon Win - Memphis Redbirds
- WooSox and Mets Cancelled Due to Rain - Worcester Red Sox
- September 15 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Mets and Red Sox Rained out on Wednesday - Syracuse Mets
- Indy's Afternoon Rally Falls Short, 3-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Burrows Masterful as Saints Hang on for 3-2 Victory over Indianapolis - St. Paul Saints
- 7-Run Fifth Keeps Bats Hot - Louisville Bats
- Sounds Return to First Horizon Park on September 22 for Final Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 15, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 15, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (54-60) vs. St. Paul Saints (59-56) - Indianapolis Indians
- Fab Five: Indians Welcome Five New Additions to Staff - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders Top Flailing IronPigs - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Omaha Held to Four Hits in Series-Opening Loss to Iowa - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Brennen Davis Clubs Two Long Balls in 8-1 Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Drop Series Opener to Louisville - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.