Brennen Davis Clubs Two Long Balls in 8-1 Victory
PAPILLION, NE - The Iowa Cubs (47-68) were jolted with power from the Chicago Cubs' No. 1 ranked prospect, propelling them to an 8-1 win over the Omaha Storm Chasers (64-51), Tuesday at Werner Park.
Both teams scored a run in the first inning, but Iowa broke it open with a solo home run from Brennen Davis to lead off the second inning. Davis, the No. 14 ranked prospect in all of baseball by MLB.com, made his Triple-A debut with Iowa tonight, going 2-for-5 with two home runs and three runs batted in.
Iowa added to their lead with an RBI double from Nico Hoerner and a two-RBI single from Greg Deichmann. Up 5-1, Davis clubbed his second home run in his second Triple-A at-bat to put Iowa up 7-1.
Iowa's starter, Ryan Kellogg, did not allow another run after the first inning, striking out three over his four innings of work. Deichmann added to the I-Cubs lead with another RBI single in the fifth to bring their lead to 8-1.
Ethan Roberts, Dakota Mekkes and Juan Gamez kept the Storm Chasers at one run with five scoreless innings. The three of them combined to allow just one hit and three walks while striking out three to take game one of six at Werner Park.
- In his Triple-A debut, Brennen Davis went 2-for-5 with two home runs and three runs batted in. The outfielder hit home runs in each of his first two at-bats.
- Greg Deichmann raised his average to .250 on the season with Iowa, going 3-for-5 with three RBI hitting third in the lineup.
- Ethan Roberts earned his third win of the year, tossing 2.0 scoreless, hitless innings. He added two strikeouts to his line, giving him 21 this year with the I-Cubs.
Iowa and Omaha will play game two of the series tomorrow, with first pitch between the two teams set for 7:05 pm. at Werner Park. For more information and tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 15, 2021
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Five-Run Seventh Propels Jacksonville to Victory - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Tides Fall to Jacksonville Late to Split Series - Norfolk Tides
- Knights Fall to Bulls 2-1 on Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Blast Red Wings, 20-3, to Move One Step Away from Division Title - Buffalo Bisons
- Rodriguez Hits 200th Home Run in Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- Romero, Bulls Edge Knights 2-1 - Durham Bulls
- IronPigs and RailRiders Postponed Due to Rain - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Game Suspended - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Sounds Game in Gwinnett Cancelled Due to Rain - Nashville Sounds
- Early 'Birds Get the Worm, Score Quick & Often in Day Game Win - Louisville Bats
- Redbirds Roll to Wednesday Afternoon Win - Memphis Redbirds
- WooSox and Mets Cancelled Due to Rain - Worcester Red Sox
- September 15 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Mets and Red Sox Rained out on Wednesday - Syracuse Mets
- Indy's Afternoon Rally Falls Short, 3-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Burrows Masterful as Saints Hang on for 3-2 Victory over Indianapolis - St. Paul Saints
- 7-Run Fifth Keeps Bats Hot - Louisville Bats
- Sounds Return to First Horizon Park on September 22 for Final Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 15, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 15, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (54-60) vs. St. Paul Saints (59-56) - Indianapolis Indians
- Fab Five: Indians Welcome Five New Additions to Staff - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders Top Flailing IronPigs - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Omaha Held to Four Hits in Series-Opening Loss to Iowa - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Brennen Davis Clubs Two Long Balls in 8-1 Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Drop Series Opener to Louisville - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.