RailRiders Top Flailing IronPigs
ALLENTOWN, Pa. - Three Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders pitchers combined to strike out 16 Lehigh Valley IronPigs batters in a 4-2 win on Tuesday night at Coca-Cola Park. The triumph guaranteed SWB at least a season split in the 36-game 2021 IronRail Series.
In the first game of his MLB rehab assignment, Domingo German allowed two hits and struck out four in 2.0 innings of work.
The RailRiders took a 1-0 lead three pitches into the game when Estevan Florial launched a leadoff home run against Colton Eastman. It was the second home run to lead off a game of the season for the RailRiders, with Luke Voit opening the May 9 game at Syracuse with a long ball.
The IronPigs briefly jumped in front in the bottom of the second when Cornelius Randolph brought in two runs with a single, but was thrown out trying to stretch the hit into a double. After that, JP Sears settled down and allowed only two more hits across his 6.0 innings of work.
Sears (4-0) tied his career high by striking out 10 batters in the game, matching a mark set earlier this season in Double-A against the Reading Fightin' Phils. The left-hander scattered seven hits and did not issue a walk.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre struck back in the top of the fourth and re-gained the lead. Donny Sands doubled to left to score Chris Gittens and scored three batters later on a sacrifice fly from Armando Alvarez. The RailRiders added a tally in the sixth on an Andrew Velazquez RBI single.
German followed Sears with scoreless innings in the seventh and eighth, but in the ninth Ron Marinaccio allowed a single and a walk to the first two batters to bring the winning run to the plate. However, Marinaccio retired the next three batters in order to close out the win and earn his first save of the season.
POSTGAME NOTES: The RailRiders were 3-for-3 on stolen base attempts in the game, and have swiped 126 bags this season. The SWB franchise record is 139 set by the 2000 Red Barons... After a nine-game losing streak, the RailRiders have won six-of-their-last-seven games... SWB pitchers combined to strike out 16 batters, one shy of the single-game season high of 17 set against Buffalo on 9/3.
The RailRiders continue their series with the IronPigs on Wednesday night at Coca-Cola Park. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m., with coverage on the RailRiders Baseball Network beginning at 6:45. RHP Brody Koerner (3-4, 3.50) toes the rubber for SWB, while Lehigh Valley counters with RHP Mauricio Llovera (2-1, 3.99).
The RailRiders return home for their final homestand of the season on September 22 to begin the "Final Stretch" with a five-game series against Syracuse. For tickets and more information, call (570) 969-BALL or slide to www.swbrailriders.com/tickets.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 15, 2021
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Five-Run Seventh Propels Jacksonville to Victory - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Tides Fall to Jacksonville Late to Split Series - Norfolk Tides
- Knights Fall to Bulls 2-1 on Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Blast Red Wings, 20-3, to Move One Step Away from Division Title - Buffalo Bisons
- Rodriguez Hits 200th Home Run in Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- Romero, Bulls Edge Knights 2-1 - Durham Bulls
- IronPigs and RailRiders Postponed Due to Rain - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Game Suspended - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Sounds Game in Gwinnett Cancelled Due to Rain - Nashville Sounds
- Early 'Birds Get the Worm, Score Quick & Often in Day Game Win - Louisville Bats
- Redbirds Roll to Wednesday Afternoon Win - Memphis Redbirds
- WooSox and Mets Cancelled Due to Rain - Worcester Red Sox
- September 15 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Mets and Red Sox Rained out on Wednesday - Syracuse Mets
- Indy's Afternoon Rally Falls Short, 3-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Burrows Masterful as Saints Hang on for 3-2 Victory over Indianapolis - St. Paul Saints
- 7-Run Fifth Keeps Bats Hot - Louisville Bats
- Sounds Return to First Horizon Park on September 22 for Final Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 15, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 15, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (54-60) vs. St. Paul Saints (59-56) - Indianapolis Indians
- Fab Five: Indians Welcome Five New Additions to Staff - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders Top Flailing IronPigs - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Omaha Held to Four Hits in Series-Opening Loss to Iowa - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Brennen Davis Clubs Two Long Balls in 8-1 Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Drop Series Opener to Louisville - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- RailRiders Close Regular Season with a Win
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 19, 2021
- Andújar Begins MLB Rehab Assignment with RailRiders
- SWB Takes Two from LHV
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 18, 2021