Richmond Walks It Off, 2-1 over Portland
Richmond, VA - Jeff Arnold delivered a walk-off two-run double in the bottom of the ninth inning, lifting the Richmond Flying Squirrels (32-29) to a 2-1 win over the Portland Sea Dogs (22-40) on Tuesday night in the series opener at the Diamond.
Portland led 1-0 and turned to Josh Taylor the home ninth. Jerry Sands doubled with one out to start the rally. Jonah Arenaudo reached on a two-base error by CF Tate Matheny, and Arnold won the game with a double over the head off RF Danny Mars.
Caleb Sampson (3-3) worked a scoreless ninth to earn the win. Taylor (1-2) allowed one unearned in 2/3 of an inning to take the loss.
Matt Kent (ND) was sensational for Portland, working seven scoreless on just five hits, one walk, and five strikeouts. Richmond starter Garrett Williams hurled 6+ scoreless innings on one run and eight strikeouts.
Portland took a 1-0 lead in the second inning on a bases-loaded groundout by Jhon Nunez. The 'Dogs had three hits - two from Austin Rei and an infield-single from Danny Mars.
The Sea Dogs and Richmond Flying Squirrels (Giants affiliate) continue their three-game series with a 6:35 start on Wednesday night at the Diamond. Portland sends RHP Teddy Stankiewicz (5-5, 5.43) to the mound against Richmond's RHP Chase Johnson (0-1, 2.16)
Radio coverage begins at 6:20 PM on the WPEI U.S. Cellular Sea Dogs Radio Network. MiLB.TV starts at 6:30 PM.
Tickets for the next homestand from June 19-24 can be purchased by visiting seadogs.com or calling 207-879-9500.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 12, 2018
- Sens Slam Their Way to 8-3 Win - Reading Fightin Phils
- No-Hit Harris, Big Fly Bo Lead 'Cats to Win in Akron - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Launch Three Homers in 8-3 Defeat - Bowie Baysox
- Gushue Is Grand in 8-3 Win over Reading - Harrisburg Senators
- SeaWolves Blast Five Homers to Sink Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- RubberDucks Topped by New Hampshire 6-1 - Akron RubberDucks
- Richmond Walks It Off, 2-1 over Portland - Portland Sea Dogs
- Funkhouser Deals and the Bats Explode in Hartford - Erie SeaWolves
- Hey Arnold, Squirrels Catcher Smacks Walk-Off Winner - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Binghamton's Enthusiasm Curved by Altoona - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Amburgey, Zehner Lead Thunder Past Bowie - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 12th at Richmond - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Rumble Ponies (34-28) vs. Curve (29-28) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes at Reading - Game #62 - Harrisburg Senators
- Game Notes: vs. Hartford - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.