Gushue Is Grand in 8-3 Win over Reading
The Harrisburg Senators (32-30) defeated the Reading Fightin Phils (26-36) 8-3 Tuesday night at FirstEnergy Stadium. Taylor Gushue hit the second grand slam of the season for the Senators while Kyle McGowin struck out a career-high 11 batters en route to the club's third straight win.
The Senators opened the scoring in the first when Hunter Jones, Kelvin Gutierrez, and Dan Gamache led off the game with a double, triple and double to plate a pair of runs.
Taylor Gushue broke the game open in the second. After Hunter Jones walked and Gutierrez and Gamache reached on back-to-back singles, Gushue belted a grand slam over the left field fence to put the Senators ahead 6-0.
Drew Ward added to the lead in the sixth by crushing a two-run home run to left as the Senators took an 8-0 advantage.
Reading got on the board in the sixth when Zach Green hit a bases loaded two-run single. The club added their final run in the eighth on another RBI single by Green to make it 8-3 which would be the final score.
Senators starter Kyle McGowin (3-1) earned the win, tossing six innings of two run and four hit ball while striking out a career-high 11. It's the most strike outs by a Senator since Erick Fedde struck out 12 on August 31, 2016. Fightins starter Elniery Garcia (0-6) took the loss after surrendering six runs on six hits over two innings.
Jones and Gamache both finished with three hits to pace the Senators and the top five in the order combined to go 10-21 with three doubles, two home runs, and six RBI.
The Senators and Fightins continue the series Wednesday night. Wirkin Estevez takes the bump for the Senators against Fightins starter Ranger Suarez. First pitch is scheduled for 7:15 p.m. at FirstEnergy Stadium. The game can be heard on CBS Sports Harrisburg 96.5 & 95.3 FM and 1400 AM or at www.cbssportsharrisburg.com beginning at 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 12, 2018
- Sens Slam Their Way to 8-3 Win - Reading Fightin Phils
- No-Hit Harris, Big Fly Bo Lead 'Cats to Win in Akron - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Launch Three Homers in 8-3 Defeat - Bowie Baysox
- Gushue Is Grand in 8-3 Win over Reading - Harrisburg Senators
- SeaWolves Blast Five Homers to Sink Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- RubberDucks Topped by New Hampshire 6-1 - Akron RubberDucks
- Richmond Walks It Off, 2-1 over Portland - Portland Sea Dogs
- Funkhouser Deals and the Bats Explode in Hartford - Erie SeaWolves
- Hey Arnold, Squirrels Catcher Smacks Walk-Off Winner - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Binghamton's Enthusiasm Curved by Altoona - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Amburgey, Zehner Lead Thunder Past Bowie - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 12th at Richmond - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Rumble Ponies (34-28) vs. Curve (29-28) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes at Reading - Game #62 - Harrisburg Senators
- Game Notes: vs. Hartford - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Harrisburg Senators Stories
- Home-Win Bound: Sens Close 2018 with Sweep
- Sharp Is Sterling as Sens Win Third Straight
- Senators Expel Squirrels 7-4 to Complete Suspended Game
- Senators Come Back to Ground Squirrels in Extras 4-3
- One If by Land, Eight If by Sea(Wolves): Erie Spoils Sens Home Finale 15-7