Amburgey, Zehner Lead Thunder Past Bowie
BOWIE, Md. - Trey Amburgey and Zack Zehner both hit three-run homers for the Thunder on Tuesday night in an 8-3 win over the Bowie Baysox at Prince George's Stadium.
Following a one-out single in the first inning by Billy Fleming and a Gosuke Katoh double to center, Amburgey lined out to center, deep enough for Fleming to tag up and score the game's first run from third.
In the third, with two runners on, Amburgey lined a pitch from Baysox (28-32) starter Lucas Long over the left field wall for a three-run homer, extending the Thunder (37-25) lead to 4-0.
Right-hander Trevor Stephan held Bowie scoreless through his five innings as Trenton's starter, striking out six and allowing just two hits.
After holding the Baysox scoreless in the sixth inning in relief, David Sosebee yielded a solo home run in the bottom of the seventh to Sharlon Schoop. Sosebee benefitted from a three-run shot by Zack Zehner in the top of the eighth, but immediately surrendered back-to-back solo homers to Ryan Mountcastle and Aderlin Rodriguez in the bottom half, bringing Bowie within four runs, 7-3.
The Thunder added a run of insurance in the top of the ninth on a RBI-single by Fleming before James Reeves tossed a scoreless bottom half to end the game.
Fleming led the Thunder with a season-high four hits, while Amburgey extended his on-base streak to a season-best 10 games, and his four RBI in the game were a career-high.
Your Thunder continue the road series with a doubleheader on Wednesday night, with the first game beginning at 5:35pm against the Baysox. RHP Domingo Acevedo (1-1, 3.10) will start for the Thunder against Bowie's LHP Brian Gonzalez (1-2, 8.10) in the first game, while LHP Ryan Bollinger (3-1, 3.14) will go for Trenton against a yet-to-be-determined Baysox starter in the second game.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 12, 2018
- Sens Slam Their Way to 8-3 Win - Reading Fightin Phils
- No-Hit Harris, Big Fly Bo Lead 'Cats to Win in Akron - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Launch Three Homers in 8-3 Defeat - Bowie Baysox
- Gushue Is Grand in 8-3 Win over Reading - Harrisburg Senators
- SeaWolves Blast Five Homers to Sink Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- RubberDucks Topped by New Hampshire 6-1 - Akron RubberDucks
- Richmond Walks It Off, 2-1 over Portland - Portland Sea Dogs
- Funkhouser Deals and the Bats Explode in Hartford - Erie SeaWolves
- Hey Arnold, Squirrels Catcher Smacks Walk-Off Winner - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Binghamton's Enthusiasm Curved by Altoona - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Amburgey, Zehner Lead Thunder Past Bowie - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 12th at Richmond - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Rumble Ponies (34-28) vs. Curve (29-28) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes at Reading - Game #62 - Harrisburg Senators
- Game Notes: vs. Hartford - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- 2019 Season to Feature 22 Fireworks Shows at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Thunder GM/COO Jeff Hurley Named Eastern League Executive of the Year
- River Fest to Feature Fall Draft Selections and Special Food Items
- Trenton Thunder to participate in 2019 "Copa de la Diverson"
- Season Ends with Sweep at Hands of Fisher Cats