Sens Slam Their Way to 8-3 Win
(Reading, PA) - Coming out of their first off day in quite some time, the Reading Fightin Phils returned home to FirstEnergy Stadium to start a six-game homestand after their 2-4 roadtrip that took them to Altoona and Erie. Hosting the Harrisburg Senators for their only visit to Baseballtown this season, the visitors got off to a fast start and took an 8-0 lead after the top of the fourth. Starter Kyle McGowin struck out a career-high 11 batters over six innings, and Zach Green matched a career-high with four hits as he drove in all three runs in the Sens 8-3 win in front of 5,674 at America's Classic Ballpark.
Searching for his first win in his ninth start of the season, lefthander Elniery Garcia started the ballgame by allowing a double to center fielder Hunter Jones. Kelvin Gutierrez followed with an RBI triple and another double from Dan Gamache made it 2-0 three batters in. The Senators would later load the bases, but Garcia picked up his second strikeout of the inning by getting Osvaldo Abreu looking to keep it 2-0.
He wasn't as fortunate in the top of the second when the Senators reloaded the bases with one out on a walk to Jones and singles from Gutierrez and Gamache. The first pitch to Taylor Gushue was cranked to left for a tone-setting grand slam, and Gushue circled the diamond with his fifth home run to put the Senators ahead 6-0. Garcia (0-6) left after the second, and the Fightins bullpen would take care of the last seven innings.
Alexis Rivero got the first call, and spun three innings in which he let up a two-run home run to Drew Ward following a leadoff walk to Gushue in the fourth. At that point, the Senators led 8-0 and rode their righthander McGowin through the fifth inning.
The Fightins started making noise in the bottom of the sixth when they loaded the bases for Green with two outs. Malquin Canelo got things started with a one out double, and Jan Hernandez reached on a hit by pitch before Darick Hall worked a walk. Green, who had previously singled and doubled, delivered again with his third hit to drive in a pair and make it 8-2.
Facing Austen Williams for his second inning in the eighth after McGowin (3-1) left after six, Cornelius Randolph led off with a double into left center field. With two outs, Green got a hold of another one and lined an opposite field single into right for his fourth hit and third run batted in. 8-3 would be the final, and both Seth McGarry and Luke Leftwich kept the game right there with two scoreless innings each.
America's Classic Ballpark is proud to be a part of Pennsylvania's Americana Region. Season tickets for the 2018 season are available online at Fightins.com, by phone at 610-370-BALL, and in-person at FirstEnergy Stadium. Follow the Fightin Phils on Twitter at @ReadingFightins and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/fightins.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 12, 2018
- Sens Slam Their Way to 8-3 Win - Reading Fightin Phils
- No-Hit Harris, Big Fly Bo Lead 'Cats to Win in Akron - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Launch Three Homers in 8-3 Defeat - Bowie Baysox
- Gushue Is Grand in 8-3 Win over Reading - Harrisburg Senators
- SeaWolves Blast Five Homers to Sink Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- RubberDucks Topped by New Hampshire 6-1 - Akron RubberDucks
- Richmond Walks It Off, 2-1 over Portland - Portland Sea Dogs
- Funkhouser Deals and the Bats Explode in Hartford - Erie SeaWolves
- Hey Arnold, Squirrels Catcher Smacks Walk-Off Winner - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Binghamton's Enthusiasm Curved by Altoona - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Amburgey, Zehner Lead Thunder Past Bowie - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 12th at Richmond - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Rumble Ponies (34-28) vs. Curve (29-28) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes at Reading - Game #62 - Harrisburg Senators
- Game Notes: vs. Hartford - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Fightin Phils Stories
- Suarez' complete game in game one backs up game two comeback in Portland
- Fightin Phils End Skid with a 10-Run Performance
- Fightins' Skid Hits Six Straight
- Fightin Phils losing streak hits five in 5-0 shutout to RubberDucks
- Senators send Fightin Phils to fourth straight loss